Calcium carbonate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I'm getting a little more confused. What's the difference between k-carbonate and k-bicarbonate?

Potassium Carbonate is the double potassium salt of carbonic acid.
Potassium bicarbonate is the mono potassium salt of carbonic acid.

The double salt will react with two acid protons in the wine whereas the mono salt will only react with one.

The end product of neutralizing the tartaric (or malic) acid is the potassium bitartrate salt that will crystallize out as wine diamonds eventually if it exceeds the concentration that is soluble.

The other product - carbonic acid - comes apart to ultimately form CO2 and water.

I have drawn all the chemical structures and equations in the attached image.

291j5ly.jpg

The double salt will react with two acid protons in the wine whereas the mono salt will only react with one.

The end product of neutralizing the tartaric (or malic) acid is the potassium bitartrate salt that will crystallize out as wine diamonds eventually if it exceeds the concentration that is soluble.

The other product - carbonic acid - comes apart to ultimately form CO2 and water.

291j5ly.jpg

:? I haven't taken a chemistry class since high school. I can't remember any of it. Trying to figure out how to best use the chemicals with zero chemistry knowledge.

291j5ly.jpg
I'm sure it's an excellent explanation to those who understand it. You weren't trying to explain it to me anyway. You did put a lot of effort into the detailed explanation.

I notice a lot of winemakers on this site do not realize the importance of testing and balancing their must prior to fermentation. I do not take anyone's word and I hear a lot of Local Distributors saying the juice is balanced. Yeah right! My suggestion is to check the vital signs. Brix, PH, TA and adjust as necessary. This relieves most issues and gives the foundation of making good wine.

Adjusting your TA is critical but what is your PH? If your PH is 3.5 - 3.6 you don't what this to go any higher or lower. So making an adjustment in TA sometimes has a reverse affect in your PH. Everyone gives the Do's and Don'ts of each. So it's very critical to follow these directions and your wine will be fine.

Latest posts

Back