caffeinated wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow learner

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm curious about adding caffeine to wine.

have any of you tried it? is it more complicated than dissolving (a very carefully measured amount of) pure caffeine into water and then adding it to the secondary? Does it change the taste?

I see that Jack Keller found two recipes for coffee wine, but he doesn't say anything about the caffeine content.

Thanks!

What is pure caffeine?.. Do you mean using coffee granules?

Allie

it comes in a powder form, sold by the gram. Usually it's advertised in british pounds, so maybe it's become a popular legal high in UK.

caffeine.gif

the internet says that it's very bitter, but I can't imagine tasting it if I dissolve just 5 or 10 grams into 5 gallons of sweet wine.

I was just thinking about making a batch of coffee wine using Keller's recipe but I wondered how about the caffeine too. Is the taste of decaf much different from regular coffee? If not than I might go with the decaf... here's Keller's recipe,
* ½ lb freshly ground coffee
* 2½ lbs dark brown sugar
* 1½ tsp citric acid
* ¼ tsp tannin
* 7½ pts water
* 1 tsp yeast nutrient
* Sauterne wine yeast

Pour water in pot and put on to boil. Stir in sugar until dissolved. When sugar is completely dissolved, stir coffee into water and wait until it boils. Remove from heat, cover and allow to cool. To a sanitized secondary, combine citric acid, tannin and yeast nutrient. Strain coffee through double layer of muslin into secondary, discarding the grounds. Add activated yeast and cover mouth of secondary with napkin held in place with rubber band. When fermentation is vigorous, fit airlock. Rack three times, 60 days apart, topping up and refitting airlock each time. If desired dry, rack into bottles. If desired sweet or semi-sweet, stabilize, sweeten to taste, wait 10 days, and rack into bottles. [Recipe adapted from Leo Zanelli's Home Winemaking from A to Z]

You CAN taste caffine, and it IS bitter.

go buy a box of no-doze, and then chew one up to get an idea.

If you don't add enough caffine, the idea is kind of wasted because you won't get the effects of caffine.
I suspect if you use 'enough' you'll taste the bitterness, at least in lighter flavored wines.
I bet berry based fruit wines could mask the bitterness though.

I was just thinking about making a batch of coffee wine using Keller's recipe but I wondered how about the caffeine too. Is the taste of decaf much different from regular coffee? If not than I might go with the decaf... here's Keller's recipe,
I am a avid coffee drinker and yes there is a noticable difference in taste between caffeinated and non.
Steve

just my opinion but this whole idea sounds yuck to me
i like coffee dont get me wrong but not in my wine

just my opinion but this whole idea sounds yuck to me
i like coffee dont get me wrong but not in my wine
I agree. i drink coffee every day but dont care for coffee flavored whatever. But to each his/her own I say. Part of the lure of wine making is to do it your way.
Steve

You CAN taste caffine, and it IS bitter.

go buy a box of no-doze, and then chew one up to get an idea.

If you don't add enough caffine, the idea is kind of wasted because you won't get the effects of caffine.
I suspect if you use 'enough' you'll taste the bitterness, at least in lighter flavored wines.
I bet berry based fruit wines could mask the bitterness though.

I'm a bit confused about your post, sorry. You say the caffeine is bitter but "if you don't add enough caffeine, the idea is kind of wasted because you won't get the effects of the caffeine."

do we want the effects of the caffeine in wine ? I guess that's my question. I'd prefer a wine without the the caffeine

I'm a bit confused about your post, sorry. You say the caffeine is bitter but "if you don't add enough caffeine, the idea is kind of wasted because you won't get the effects of the caffeine."

do we want the effects of the caffeine in wine ? I guess that's my question. I'd prefer a wine without the the caffeine

Well the original poster is asking about putting caffine (not coffee) in their wine.
It stands to reason that the goal is to make an 'energy wine'.

Thus I state you need to add enough caffine, or the dosage will be so low as to have no 'stimulating' effect.
But going to high is likely to add a nasty bitter taste that won't age out.

it definitely works!

:sh

I added 10 grams powdered caffeine to five gallons of fruit concentrate that I made last summer. Definitely tastes better than red bull or sparks. I feel like the caffeine started to lose its potency after a few months but that might just be because I've been downing a pot of coffee every day to keep up with my studies.

I'll have to try again with a smaller amount of a nicer wine before I can give a verdict on the change in taste (I dosed the whole five gallons, no "control group" to speak of).

Decaf coffee tastes diff mostly because of process of removing caffine , not because lack of caffine. Ever tasted the tanning you put in wine? Yes I have added caffine to wine and no one who drank it complained about the taste. Never told them It was there and they didnt seem to notice the buzz. I was sober, I noticed they where doing fine

well my coffee wine attempt= not that good way bitter:rdo and supper strong--then again its young yet only 1 mth ill wait a bit then try backsweeten see if that helps.

Ive made caffinated alcohol before and i thought it turnd out pretty good. Its kinda fun cuz you get a caffine rush shortly followed my the alcohol... in the end the alcohol wins everytime tho m8

Latest posts

Back