Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
A friend gave me a case of empty bottles today, Chateau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon, California 2010. They were not very old, had some wine in the bottom of each bottle, maybe a teaspoon. What does this wine smell like? When I smelled it, I thought there was some dog mess on the bottle. The bottles were clean, so I smelled of each bottle and all of em smelled like dog mess. Is this the way it is suspose to smell or should I chunk the bottles. I always rinse the bottles out when I get them and later I will soak them in oxy-clean and bottle brush them and remove the labels and air dry. I think the odor will probably go away when I clean them, but I just don't know about these bottles?
Thanks
Semper Fi

I wouldn't be afraid of
Them. Glass is non-pours, so some good scrubbing an oxyclean you should be good.
So you have a bottle-brush?

ICELIA said:
I wouldn't be afraid of
Them. Glass is non-pours, so some good scrubbing an oxyclean you should be good.
So you have a bottle-brush?

Is oxyclean especially good for bottle cleaning? I used dish detergent .

Agree with above. Dosen't matter what they smell like when dirty. If you have a piece of meat that has gone off in the fridge, do you toss out the plate along with the rotten food, or do you toss the food and clean the plate real well (for continued use)?

ejiang said:
Is oxyclean especially good for bottle cleaning? I used dish detergent .

I have always used it with really good success. I get my bottles from 2 wineries nearby, and sometimes they have a1/4" thick sludge at the bottom, but I give them a good soak overnight to get the lables off, then oxyclean with a bottle brush then rinse. They come out sparkling everytime.

I don't think there is any danger of using them.

The big question is when you first drink from those bottles, is it going to bother you?

If not, use them, but if so, chunk them.

I had the chance to cheaply acquire a carboy, which had an old nest of dead mice still in it. Of course I could have clean it up with no problems whatsoever. However, I passed on it. To each his own.

Latest posts

Back