Cabernet Sauvignon

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by Ernest T Bass, Aug 24, 2012.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1

Ernest T Bass

Ernest T Bass

Ernest T Bass

A friend gave me a case of empty bottles today, Chateau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon, California 2010. They were not very old, had some wine in the bottom of each bottle, maybe a teaspoon. What does this wine smell like? When I smelled it, I thought there was some dog mess on the bottle. The bottles were clean, so I smelled of each bottle and all of em smelled like dog mess. Is this the way it is suspose to smell or should I chunk the bottles. I always rinse the bottles out when I get them and later I will soak them in oxy-clean and bottle brush them and remove the labels and air dry. I think the odor will probably go away when I clean them, but I just don't know about these bottles?
    Thanks
    Semper Fi

2. Aug 24, 2012 #2

ICELIA

ICELIA

ICELIA

I wouldn't be afraid of
    Them. Glass is non-pours, so some good scrubbing an oxyclean you should be good.
    So you have a bottle-brush?

3. Aug 24, 2012 #3

ejiang

ejiang

ejiang

Is oxyclean especially good for bottle cleaning? I used dish detergent .

4. Aug 24, 2012 #4

JohnT

JohnT

JohnT

Moderator Super Moderator

Agree with above. Dosen't matter what they smell like when dirty. If you have a piece of meat that has gone off in the fridge, do you toss out the plate along with the rotten food, or do you toss the food and clean the plate real well (for continued use)?

5. Aug 24, 2012 #5

ICELIA

ICELIA

ICELIA

I have always used it with really good success. I get my bottles from 2 wineries nearby, and sometimes they have a1/4" thick sludge at the bottom, but I give them a good soak overnight to get the lables off, then oxyclean with a bottle brush then rinse. They come out sparkling everytime.

6. Aug 24, 2012 #6

robie

robie

robie

I don't think there is any danger of using them.

The big question is when you first drink from those bottles, is it going to bother you?

If not, use them, but if so, chunk them.

I had the chance to cheaply acquire a carboy, which had an old nest of dead mice still in it. Of course I could have clean it up with no problems whatsoever. However, I passed on it. To each his own.

Draft saved Draft deleted