WineXpert Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charger

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time on the forum in fact first time on any forum so please excuse any errors in etiquette. I've been checking out forum for about 3 months though and learned a lot of good info, just have been kind of cowardly about asking any questions.

Getting ready to start a 3rd kit, just have to order, so I'am asking for some advice. I want to make a cabernet sauvignon, been checking out the Winexpert Selection Estate (Woodbridge Ranch II) which has 16 liters of concentrate or Winexpert Selection Premium with 15 liters of concentrate. I know that there is a difference in price, is the qualityand taste that much different, and what about alcohol volume? Does the added concentrate make a difference? I'd really like youropinion and if you like aCabernet better than the ones I've mentioned please tell me.

My first wine was a kit I bought from George, a Selection Estate merlot and had a alc. vol. of 13.3, my next kit was a Vintners Reserve Chardonnay and ended up with only 11.3 alc. vol. The SG numbers all cameto what they were supposed to be at each stage but a big difference in alc. vol. Does this sound right?

Thanks everyone.

Welcome Charger and please ask any questions you have. This forum is here to help everyone especially FVW customers. I have not made either of the two Cabs you mentioned but I would say both would make a great wine. The Woodbridge grape is considered to be one of the best Cabs from California so this is the main difference in price. The more juice in a wine kit typically equates to a better wine in the end and also the difference in ABV. The larger volume kits have more actual juice and less concentrate which also contributes to a higher quality.

Here is a bit more info on the Woodbridge.

http://www.winexpert.com/products/files/Woodbridge%2011.pdf

Charger:

I started the Woodbridge Ranch II Cab in February and bottled in October (I think). I let it age for a while in thecarboy. This was my first kit and I think I screwed it up by using tap water, which in our house is using water through the water softener. I didn't think it had much flavor when bottled, butI figure I'll let it age in the bottle some more. I'll probably try a bottle every3 months or so and if it's no good after a year or 18 months I'll toss it and reuse the bottles. At his point I have nothing to lose. It might wind up being an expensive lesson in what water not to use.

More juice will contain more solids which in return will add more body to the wine. I have only made a VR Cabernet which is still in the carboy. It is a little light in body but with some age it should gain body. Only time will tell. I would think the alcohol levels would be the same if the beginning and ending SG was the same.

I have a Cabernet coming in the WE Limited Editions in January, I am eager to get this one started, it was the one I wanted the most from the entire series.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Thanks guys for theinformation. I thought that more juicemight translate into better bodied wine andwas curious about alc vol. Like I said I made VR Chardonnay and it ended up at only 11.3 and wanted a stronger Cabernet. I think I'll go with the Woodbridge. It costs more butworks out to less than a dollar more per bottle. As long as I haveto wait for 6-12 months I might as well invest the extra money.

If you guys have any recommendations for my next red I'd like to here about them.

Thanks for all the help!

Charger in San Diego

I think any of the Estates are really good reds or the Australian Shiraz. I have made the Stag's Leap Merlot, Old Vines Zin and the Shiraz. All are exceptional.

Latest posts

Back