Cabernet/Merlot or Cabernet/ Petite Sirah or Melot/ Petite Sirah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might as well ask how many angels can dance on a grape seed? It really comes down to which of those do you like best and in what percentages. I am a big fan of Cab/Merlot at something near 50/50 and a splash (like 2-5% of Petite Syrah), but left bank of France (or is it right, I always forget) likes much more Cab than Merlot and right bank is just the opposite.

If you have access to the finished wine, then you should try bench trials to decide which you like. If you are trying to decide which to buy, then the question gets much harder.

I agree the most common would be Cab/Merlot and Craig is correct in the percentages being based on the wine. FYI, Left Bank is Cab dominate Right is Merlot. I just bottles a Meritage using all six varietals and it turned out the Cab and Merlot were near equal proportions so I called it Ile de le Lande which is an island in the middle of the Garonne River separating the Left and Right Bank

Attachments

• 61664.jpg
    61664.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 24
I'm a big Zin fan. I've made a 75% Zin/25% petit Syrah that turned out heavenly.

Sorry @mariodolphins1010 I'm hording your thread. @Chuck E I'm trying to do a Zin/Petit Sirah/Syrah blend and just can't come up with anything I'm happy with. I'm going to try your percentages and maybe through in a little Syrah. Have you ever done all three?

Hi,

Which blend is more popular and what would be a good percentage of each grape?

If, by "popular," you mean "most common," then, by far, far, far and away the Cab/Merlot blend is the most popular. The others are not even remotely close. If you mean something other, please specify.

Latest posts

Back