Cabernet Franc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered this juice and it's due in the begining of May. Quick question though since this is the my first experience with juice. Does this particular wine require oak? If so, what are some suggestions for type and quantity.

Thanks

Doug, I have not made any Chilean wine however my Merlot, Cab. Franc and Cab. Sauv. from California I oak probably more than many others. I use 8 ounces per 5 Gallon Carboy. I'll use an American medium toast (no butter) and bulk age it 10 months.

We like the oak taste and this amount still allows the grape flavor to come thru. My other red wines I'll oak half as much. If you'd like I'll meet you and give you a bottle of our Merlot to taste. Two years ago I didn't make a Cabernet and last year I made both Cab. Sauv. and Franc but they are still aging.

I'm anxious to hear what the others here do. Often thought about an oak poll for the big reds.

Doug, I have not made any Chilean wine however my Merlot, Cab. Franc and Cab. Sauv. from California I oak probably more than many others. I use 8 ounces per 5 Gallon Carboy. I'll use an American medium toast (no butter) and bulk age it 10 months.

We like the oak taste and this amount still allows the grape flavor to come thru. My other red wines I'll oak half as much. If you'd like I'll meet you and give you a bottle of our Merlot to taste. Two years ago I didn't make a Cabernet and last year I made both Cab. Sauv. and Franc but they are still aging.

I'm anxious to hear what the others here do. Often thought about an oak poll for the big reds.

That's a great offer. Wish I had something to exchange in return. We're very new to this and only have 2 kits under our belt a batch of Apple. We may have to try to meet up sometime. I work in the Strip and live west of the city.

Premiere produce (strip) is where my juice comes from. I live in Brookline. Perhaps we could have a drink at Banksville Eat n Park? Pepsi of course, not wine.

Not a problem with the exchange. I give half of my wine away. I just want the bottle back!

That could work for me and I could get you the bottle before it's empty now that my garage is cleaned out. I have a case of new bottles out there that were snowed in.

Latest posts

Back