Cab - Pino Noir blend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I just ordered 3 lugs of Cab & 1 lug of Pino Noir grapes. Also 2 pails of Cab juice & 1 pail of Pino Noir. Plan is : putting 18-24 lbs of P N grapes in the 6 gals of P N juice. For a strong P N. Then taking the rest of the P N grapes say 12 lbs & adding it to a 6 gal bucket of Cab , to make a "fruity' Cab. Then taking 2.5 lugs of Cab to make a 6 gal batch of straight Cab, And add the last 18 lbs of Cab to a 6 gal Cab juice bucket. The last juice bucket will be straight Cab juice. Sound like a plan? Any input? Need a strong P N for a wedding & a strong Cab for us, rest is an experiment. Roy

So Varis, you think this plan will work? Last year I did 3 lugs & 1 juice bucket, this year we are trying to up it a notch. And make 6-7 gals of Pino Noir, my future Daughter in law's favorite wine. And some great Cab's for us, Roy ps we want some of that Salmon & veggies

Last edited:
I did both cab and PN from lugs and juice in 2014 and blended 1 case of 50/50. One year bulk and one year in bottles so far but I really like the blend. I was surprised that the cab came around faster than the Pinot.

Ok, I just ordered 3 lugs of Cab & 1 lug of Pino Noir grapes. Also 2 pails of Cab juice & 1 pail of Pino Noir. Plan is : putting 18-24 lbs of P N grapes in the 6 gals of P N juice. For a strong P N. Then taking the rest of the P N grapes say 12 lbs & adding it to a 6 gal bucket of Cab , to make a "fruity' Cab. Then taking 2.5 lugs of Cab to make a 6 gal batch of straight Cab, And add the last 18 lbs of Cab to a 6 gal Cab juice bucket. The last juice bucket will be straight Cab juice. Sound like a plan? Any input? Need a strong P N for a wedding & a strong Cab for us, rest is an experiment. Roy

I think I need directions to your place! That sounds like a lot of fun and some good wine. Never thought to add PN to a Cab, I've added Cab to a Merlot, and plan on adding Merlot to a Cab next Spring, but never thought about throwing a PN in the mix. Will watch your progress/comments with much interest, have fun. I do have a PN bucket that I added 18 lbs of PN grapes to this Spring, it is tasting pretty good for as young as it is right now (first PN I've made).

Back