Cab - Pino Noir blend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Reaction score
Ok, I just ordered 3 lugs of Cab & 1 lug of Pino Noir grapes. Also 2 pails of Cab juice & 1 pail of Pino Noir. Plan is : putting 18-24 lbs of P N grapes in the 6 gals of P N juice. For a strong P N. Then taking the rest of the P N grapes say 12 lbs & adding it to a 6 gal bucket of Cab , to make a "fruity' Cab. Then taking 2.5 lugs of Cab to make a 6 gal batch of straight Cab, And add the last 18 lbs of Cab to a 6 gal Cab juice bucket. The last juice bucket will be straight Cab juice. Sound like a plan? Any input? Need a strong P N for a wedding & a strong Cab for us, rest is an experiment. Roy

Reaction score
So Varis, you think this plan will work? Last year I did 3 lugs & 1 juice bucket, this year we are trying to up it a notch. And make 6-7 gals of Pino Noir, my future Daughter in law's favorite wine. And some great Cab's for us, Roy ps we want some of that Salmon & veggies

Last edited:

Kraffty

Reaction score
I did both cab and PN from lugs and juice in 2014 and blended 1 case of 50/50. One year bulk and one year in bottles so far but I really like the blend. I was surprised that the cab came around faster than the Pinot.

ceeaton

Sixth year
Reaction score
Ok, I just ordered 3 lugs of Cab & 1 lug of Pino Noir grapes. Also 2 pails of Cab juice & 1 pail of Pino Noir. Plan is : putting 18-24 lbs of P N grapes in the 6 gals of P N juice. For a strong P N. Then taking the rest of the P N grapes say 12 lbs & adding it to a 6 gal bucket of Cab , to make a "fruity' Cab. Then taking 2.5 lugs of Cab to make a 6 gal batch of straight Cab, And add the last 18 lbs of Cab to a 6 gal Cab juice bucket. The last juice bucket will be straight Cab juice. Sound like a plan? Any input? Need a strong P N for a wedding & a strong Cab for us, rest is an experiment. Roy
I think I need directions to your place! That sounds like a lot of fun and some good wine. Never thought to add PN to a Cab, I've added Cab to a Merlot, and plan on adding Merlot to a Cab next Spring, but never thought about throwing a PN in the mix. Will watch your progress/comments with much interest, have fun. I do have a PN bucket that I added 18 lbs of PN grapes to this Spring, it is tasting pretty good for as young as it is right now (first PN I've made).

Reaction score
Thank you both for the encouragement, will stick to the plan. Only made a PN once, a CC kit which we did not like until it was over 2 yrs old. Will be patient on this one. Roy