Cab Merlot Rocking with Brew Belts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I started 18 gallons of California Cab Merlot That I picked up at Luva Bellas yesterday. Using my Brute fermenter I Co-inoculated a MLF culture along with my yeast starter. I added 4 pounds of Golden Rasins for extra tanin and body along with plenty of Med Toast French Oak Chips. As you can see the fermentation is already rocking. The Brew Belts have been added to bring the temp of the juice up to assist with the MLF.

ferment 002.jpg

heat belt 001.jpg

Standing tall, Dan!

Just a question, Why golden raisins rather than red? Just curious. I usually use red for red wine and golden for white wine. Always eager to learn.

Rocky, good question. I am trying hard to come up with a really long drawn out answer for you that makes sense. Dang it, I don't have one. I gues I have always used golden and not sure why other than I thats what Tom told me to use years ago and I always stuck with them.

Rocky one more thing. I love it when you respond to my posts as your wife is always flirting with me each time you do.

Last edited:
That`s one hell of a batch Runningwolf....Makes my 6 gallon carboy,..look REALLY SMALL.....good luck with it!......Thanks for the spread sheet...very helpful

Lookin good, Dan!

Which MLF strain did you go with?
Whats the magic temp you're aiming for with the brew belts?

Like Rocky, always trying to learn

I'm such a rookie...

Looks like its really kicking along. Go brew belt!

Actually I had just put the 3 brew belts on when I took the picture. This was about four hours after pitching the yeast starter. Yes a good starter with goferm really helps. The temperature is 64* and that is why I added the belts. I want to ensure a complete fermentation all the way including the MLF.

Lookin good, Dan!

Which MLF strain did you go with?
Whats the magic temp you're aiming for with the brew belts?

Like Rocky, always trying to learn

Deezil I used Viniflora Oenos Malolatic culture. I would like to maintain about 75*. I had no idea how the brew belts would work on such a thick walled container but the temp is already up to 71*. I will probably remove 1-2 belts tomorrow as the temp gets above 75*.

What was your starting sg or brixs?Is this juice or frozen must?

Rock, this is fresh juice from California. The starting brix on these pails is 21. These juice pails come out in late august or September so as one would expect they fermented a bit already despite being kept very cold and heavy sulphited. My pails were down to 18 brix and S02 was 20 ppm (which I suspect was much higher 4 months ago). Even though they already come with yeast added I used my own yeast starter to be the dominate one. the temperature was up to 77* today so I removed one of the heat belts.

Had med-toast French in there right? You racked off that into carboys - did they leave much oak impact or just structure & reducing vegetative characteristics? Going to oak again for added oak impact or..?

Just noticed you pitched a yeast starter, and i never asked what strain :)

Gotta milk ya while i can, joo dont always post your endeavors! :)

Manley you can always ask away, no secrets here.

I used Pasteur Red yeast. I realize folks often talk about how long they leave oak chips or dust in their wine and taste as you go along. The fact of the matter is, if you're using oak dust 95% of the flavor is extracted in the first 24 hours and with chips after only a few days. Oak Spirals take a lot longer.

Bottom line, if you want heavier oak either add more or add a fresh second batch. To answer your question, I tasted it tonight and it had a very nice oaky taste. I will probably leave it as is now.

Ah i gotcha, i was just basing my questions off the reading i've done where its been said that oak added during fermentation doesnt give much in the way of actual oak flavors, but more inline with structure and reducing those veg. characteristics i was asking about...

Although thats usually all mentioned in conjunction with either light toast or untoasted chips/powder, and mostly american oak.. So i was curious if the same held true with medium toast, or french oak, but it appears that some of the qualities shine through, which is interesting - thanks for sharing

Manley, that is the reason I added them right from the beginning, you're right. Like I said it is pretty oaky now but I'll still taste it again in a few months to determine if it needs any more or not.

Back