C/D stand

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillaVino

Reaction score
Good afternoon grape growers,
I seem to think there was some activity on beefing up this stand but can not seem to find anything on this forum. The stand is an absolute flimsy POS and was wondering what others have done to reinforce the legs. I don’t have access to a welder except at work and home projects are frowned upon. Once I see ideas, I generally can recreate or get a new idea. Appreciate any photos. Hope your vineyard day was as spectacular as mine. 75 F, sunny and a slight breeze.

Attachments

• 2A1C987A-14B0-4580-9094-BF1D039F7589.jpeg
    2A1C987A-14B0-4580-9094-BF1D039F7589.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 21
Yep. That’s the same one I bought and also regretted. Not sure about any threads that beefed it up though. I used it once last year and said never again. Especially since I’m often working solo.
Eventually I decided on taking a push cart I had and modified to fit the shoot. And just discarded the framework. just did it a week or so ago.

initially I wanted to add lower cross supports at the sides and back but don’t have a welder and even if I did I wouldn’t be able to work w/ SS I learned.
Good luck. Be sure to post the results of whatever you end up deciding to do.3027BDFE-D8F7-40FD-BBF8-E8CFBA6E9E4E.jpeg

Nice work. Is that an old wine bottle rack? I’ve got a ton of scrap uni-strut. I think I’ll just cut 2 pieces for the back and one for each side, drill out the holes on the legs and just bolt it down. Won’t be pretty but will work,….I hope.
Thx

Nice work. Is that an old wine bottle rack? I’ve got a ton of scrap uni-strut. I think I’ll just cut 2 pieces for the back and one for each side, drill out the holes on the legs and just bolt it down. Won’t be pretty but will work,….I hope.
Thx
Nope. Just a medicine cart from a hospital. Somewhere within this thread here I posted pics & details about the mobile C/D cart —(& still ongoing since I pivoted to refurbishing the C/D).

Uni-strut is bulky and not very “finish work” worthy- but you know damn well it’ll get the job done. I coulda used other material for mine but I didn’t wanna play games. Just wanted it strong enough. I think using it for cross bracing support on the stand will make a huge difference for you. It’s definitely needed. I couldn’t believe how wobbly that thing felt. One good bump and it’s goin down! Good luck.

Yep. That’s the same one I bought and also regretted. Not sure about any threads that beefed it up though. I used it once last year and said never again. Especially since I’m often working solo.
Eventually I decided on taking a push cart I had and modified to fit the shoot. And just discarded the framework. just did it a week or so ago.

initially I wanted to add lower cross supports at the sides and back but don’t have a welder and even if I did I wouldn’t be able to work w/ SS I learned.
Good luck. Be sure to post the results of whatever you end up deciding to do.View attachment 77819
shoot mail it to me, i'll take care of the stainless work, and promise to will it to you at my demise,, lol
Dawg

To strengthen my stand, I bought several lengths of steel flat bar with holes from Ace Hardware. The holes matched up well enough so I could span a diagonal along the sides and along the back, using the existing bolts on the stand. I used a grinder to trim off the excess.

Thanks guys. Some of the mods I did see were made of the flat stock Ike wrote about. That would be probably better than heavy uni strut. That will be this weekend’s project.

Looks good but, I begrudgingly spent the money, I’ll make that flimsy stand work. Plus, time is of the essence. Harvest is probably within 2 weeks.

This took much of the flimsiness out of the stand. I should have put diagonals on the back. It will be good to go for the next month though. Working on motorizing the C/D now.
**after opening up the thumbnail, it doesn’t completely show the picture. I’ll work on it later. Gotta check sugars now.

Attachments

• 7F3743B2-A16B-4007-A5BE-A62844B2A3B7.jpeg
    7F3743B2-A16B-4007-A5BE-A62844B2A3B7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
Back