By mistake, I did not use the sulphatizer.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siseneg

Junior
Reaction score
Sulphatizer Question

I managed to thoroughly rinse the bottles with hot water at home, but while at the winery, I completely for some odd reason (maybe because I was in a hurry) skipped washing the bottles with the sulphatizer and just rinsed the bottles again.

Is the wine still drinkable, or should I throw it away?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
I wouldn't throw it away! There's a good chance that the sulfite in the wine and the alcohol will protect it from any bacteria that might be in the bottles. It's even possible that one bottle might go bad and the rest are good - or all are good. Using sulfite solution in your bottles just gives you an extra protection factor for your wine.

Its drinkable, but it doesn't sound like you stabilized the wine, and the bottles are not sanitary. Clean, but not sanitary.

Without stabilizing, its possible the wine could start to ferment again in the bottles, IF there was sugar left and viable yeast.
And since they aren't sanitized, wild infections could eat the remaining sugars in the bottle, which can ruin the wine, and could cause bottles to explode (a potentially dangerous situation).

Was any potassium sorbate added? That would help some for stabilizing, but not for infection.

That said, not sanitizing does NOT guarantee infection. It just increases the risk/potential.

So in short, I should drink my batch of wine fast:b

Any idea on how long I've got to drink it?

Thanks for the reply, very appreciated. Cheers!

Sincerely,

You have until Acticsid arrives :dthen it will all disappear!:b
Its magic!! Just kidding Troy.:D

So in short, I should drink my batch of wine fast:b
Any idea on how long I've got to drink it?
Thanks for the reply, very appreciated. Cheers!
Sincerely,
There's a lot of factors. Storage conditions. How much sulphite in the wine. How long between hot water rinse and filling. How hot the water.

Personally, I have no idea.

So hot rinse at home. Bottle in the winery. I take this was a BoP (Brew on Premises) operation. Didn't they encourage you to sanitize the bottles?

Steve

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever throw out a wine until it tells you to. You will know when you :s

So hot rinse at home. Bottle in the winery. I take this was a BoP (Brew on Premises) operation. Didn't they encourage you to sanitize the bottles?Steve

Lol, yeah except for the fact that maybe the owner loves to drink wine himself.:h

I agree with you.

Dont throw it out ever! Taste and if and when it goes bad which is actually does and thats very unlikely that it will happen youll know at first sip!

Lol, yeah except for the fact that maybe the owner loves to drink wine himself.:h

I agree with you.

Well I like to drink wine, pershaps not as much as your BoP owner. But I ran a BoP for 6 years, and insisted that customers sanitize their bottles. Yeah a few didn't but that was beacuse they refused, not because they 'forgot'.

BTW, welcome to our great hobby and our forum. It's not necessary for this question, but perhaps you can update the Location field in your Control Panel. Since you said winery, I'm guessing somewhere in the USA, but there are many more BoPs in Canada than the USA.

Steve

I have to agree with the general consensus here that you should never throw out wine until you absolutely know it is flawed. And as Ian said, you could very well end up with one or two bad bottles and the rest are problem-free. (or no problem bottles at all) There is nothing to worry about in regards to tasting the wine... there are are some bacteria that can survive in wine and may spoil the taste, but none that pose any real health risk.

Sampling...

Hello All,

I am pleased to make my debut on this forum by posting an extensive reply to my friend siseneg's original posting.

Recently he gave me 2 bottles of this questionable wine with a warning: "It may be unsafe" so I had to try it! I figured I'd give you all the walkthrough on what happens to an individual when they consume wine from a bottle that HAS NOT been properly cleaned. Though I'm not certain of the effects of guinea pigging myself on this possibly tainted wine, I have always been a firm believer in the philosophies of trying everything twice.

Keep in mind that I can not guarantee that you will have the same experience with your own friend's toxic wine. It might be better or worse like others have stated or it might only affect 1 or 2 bottles.

Also, I want everyone to know that I am not an wine connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination rather I am simply a dude that enjoys a glass of wine from time to time, in this case, perhaps a glass of something other than wine but none the less, here goes! Wish me luck!!!

June 4, 2009 11:41pm

I uncorked the bottle with ease and it made a healthy popping sound. At first sniff, it does smell a bit vinegary but that may be due to the quality of the wine and the aging. Again, I don't know my *** from my earhole when it comes to this. I'm pouring myself a glass now. It's not syrup and there are no visible floaties, that's a plus. It's very dark, I can't see through it at all. After swirling it around a bit, I think it aired out because I'm not getting as much vinegar in the smell. Now it's taken on the form of a velvet fox with roux aftertones. Upon taking the first sip I definitely detected something unusual. I needed another sip to better identify exactly what was odd about it. The best way I could describe it would be: koolaid without the sugar. It's quite watered down and has only activated my background pleasure sensors. It's not quite "Summer in Tuscany"... I'd say more like "A night at the Y". Swishing it just brings out more fairly odd tastes such as "Grade School Drinking Fountain" and "A sticky deck of playing cards". This is definitely not a 1787 Chateau Lafite but I've had worse. I still have my vision and I don't feel dead yet which are good signs. At the risk of sounding pretentious I will go ahead and say this is far better than drinking piss. It doesn't have a very pleasant taste but I'm pretty sure at this point it's safe to drink.

I give this wine a hearty 3 yodels out of 10.

It's always good to have a guinea pig to try stuff like this dyolf, and you are an "cheap date". If you're not a wine connesieur than you wouldn't know bad from the good!:D
I had a crappy batch of orange I tried this winter and I thought it was horrible, I gave it to my buddy and he thought it was great. Go figure.
Sometimes it doesn't always work out, and when you forget an important step, you will most likely run into problems.

So we go again....

P.s., nice review of you buddies wine.
Troy
:b

It's quite watered down and has only activated my background pleasure sensors. It's not quite "Summer in Tuscany"... I'd say more like "A night at the Y". Swishing it just brings out more fairly odd tastes such as "Grade School Drinking Fountain" and "A sticky deck of playing cards". This is definitely not a 1787 Chateau Lafite but I've had worse. I still have my vision and I don't feel dead yet which are good signs. At the risk of sounding pretentious I will go ahead and say this is far better than drinking piss. It doesn't have a very pleasant taste but I'm pretty sure at this point it's safe to drink.

I give this wine a hearty 3 yodels out of 10.

Hilarious!:)

I should note, this is the new 7 day wine you can now get. Its by no means "a 1787 Chateau Lafite"!

Cheers:b

Hilarious!:)

I should note, this is the new 7 day wine you can now get.
Cheers:b

In that case, you're lucky it got a 3 out of 10. Winemakers need patience. I realize that BoPs are pushing the wne out of the door quickly (I used to run a BoP). But that doesn't mean that it is best for the wine.

BTW which kit did you make? I'm guessing it's a Wine Kitz product.

Steve

Even wine that doesn't taste that great can be used for cooking, at a fraction of the cost of a commercial wine you'd buy to cook with.

thats how i got started on wine making this year...wife was spending too much on wine used for burgundy sauces, etc.

cpfan, it was a wine kitz product.

Being patient for wine is confusing to me brain in times when inventory is bare; in this case, the 7-day wine is somewhat of a pragmatic solution, a compromise nonetheless, but a healthy one in my opinion:b

Malkore,

How much burgundy are you going through in a year? Having one too many BBQ get togethers are we? But seriously, that's great what your wife is doing, that's something I might consider looking into myself. I just love the fact that this type of wine of so cheap, and so quick for consumption. It's a interesting combo, but like cpfan said, I rather be a little more patient (or organized in my case) and wait a bit more for a better overall quality and taste.

Sincerely,

Make a bunch of wine and make a really good kit at the same time and let it age properly and then give it to your friend! You can truly make an awesome wine from this stuff but it needs more like 7 months then 7 days. Your friend knows way too much about strange tasting objects and liquids!
:)

well i like to drink wine, pershaps not as much as your bop owner. But i ran a bop for 6 years, and insisted that customers sanitize their bottles. Yeah a few didn't but that was beacuse they refused, not because they 'forgot'.

Btw, welcome to our great hobby and our forum. It's not necessary for this question, but perhaps you can update the location field in your control panel. Since you said winery, i'm guessing somewhere in the usa, but there are many more bops in canada than the usa.

Steve

bop?
:?:?:?:?

Brew On Premise. It s a wine and beer supply store where you can actually have them store it and make it for you if you dont want to initially invest in all the equipment. You usually pay a decent fee for them doing this and you have a hand in it like pitchingthe yeast and bottling it.

Latest posts

Back