Buying a tractor time - what implements?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSMChris

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now that our vineyard is in the ground and growing like crazy, we are starting the process of deciding what tractor to buy - along with what implements. Just to refresh your memory, we have one acre with 600 vines planted in rows ten feet apart. Lots of room on both ends to turn around.

So I thought I’d ask here - for those of you who use a tractor in your vineyard, what implements do you use most often?

I have a little kubota tractor, but use my riding mower to mow between the rows. A little trailer during pruning also is handy to haul the clippings out. This will be my first harvest, so I suspect I’ll use the trailer to haul the grapes out as well.

So to answer your question, I don’t use the tractor at all, but if I didn’t have the riding mower, a grass cutting attachment and a trailer for hauling and perhaps to carry a sprayer is what I would want.

One acre can be managed with a small riding mower and a backpack sprayer and a little trailer.

On the other hand, we have a JD 5200 that we use for planting with a 12 inch PTO auger and large mowing with a 72 inch Woods finish mower. Last fall we bought a JD 1025R 4wd with a 54 inch belly mower and a 55 gallon sprayer. I'm too small to efficiently use a backpack sprayer and I managed to tear up two in a season. I used 2 1/2 tanks to spray 1.5 acres last night. I would prefer a fogger sprayer but this seemed to do the job.

We have areas that are 25% grade so we really needed the 4WD for mowing and spraying.

You might want an ATV like a Gator or Mule but they are pricy and feet work well. We have a bucket on the big tractor so we use it a lot to haul stuff up hill and dale.

So now that our vineyard is in the ground and growing like crazy, we are starting the process of deciding what tractor to buy - along with what implements. Just to refresh your memory, we have one acre with 600 vines planted in rows ten feet apart. Lots of room on both ends to turn around.

So I thought I’d ask here - for those of you who use a tractor in your vineyard, what implements do you use most often?
I have a little spray rig Little Hercules sprayers I purchased from
Chris Whiting | Sales Manager – Spray Innovations
PO Box 1158, Grand Island, NE 68802-1158
3724 Westgate Rd, Grand Island, NE 68803
(800) 864-4595 Ext. 602 Toll Free
It is a :

Model #LH-D12-425E is an electric start unit with a 12” fan, 10 nozzle dual volute (5 nozzles on each side), electric valve, 4 roller pump and 25 gallon tank. This sprayer also has a spraying distance of around 15-20’ horizontal and about 12’ vertical on each side in the open, with a dry weight of 370 lbs.
I have it mounted on a trailer I pull behind my 9n tractor great sprayer Just check out the sprayer you will be satisfied.

Thanks for the input everyone. There are a few details I should have put into my original post. We need the tractor with or without the vineyard. The property we bought was woefully neglected for a decade - and we are in year two of our five year plan to revitalize it. Not counting the vineyard tractor work, we could have bought half of the tractor with what we spent already on rentals. And looking at the projects to come, there are several that will require a bucket and a box scraper and it will be more than enough hours to pay for a tractor. So the tractor is on the shopping list regardless.

In addition to the bucket and box scraper, I plan to add a set of forks for moving harvest bins. We have mature olive trees with more coming on line and harvesting into five gallon buckets and carrying several hundred feet to a bin in a truck in the driveway 50 or 60 times is not something we want to continue.

Thanks for the thoughts on the other items.

Thanks for the input everyone. There are a few details I should have put into my original post. We need the tractor with or without the vineyard. The property we bought was woefully neglected for a decade - and we are in year two of our five year plan to revitalize it. Not counting the vineyard tractor work, we could have bought half of the tractor with what we spent already on rentals. And looking at the projects to come, there are several that will require a bucket and a box scraper and it will be more than enough hours to pay for a tractor. So the tractor is on the shopping list regardless.

In addition to the bucket and box scraper, I plan to add a set of forks for moving harvest bins. We have mature olive trees with more coming on line and harvesting into five gallon buckets and carrying several hundred feet to a bin in a truck in the driveway 50 or 60 times is not something we want to continue.

Thanks for the thoughts on the other items.
If you are planning to use a tractor to lift harvest bins you need at least a Category 2 or bigger. For everything you plan you need bigger than a subcompact. I'm not sure our JD 5200 is big enough to lift full 1/2 ton macro bins. You better do some home work and check with your dealer.

We are John Deere people - still made in America. Kubota is good too. I'm not sure how good the others (Ford/New Holland, Massey Ferguson) are these days.

If you are planning to use a tractor to lift harvest bins you need at least a Category 2 or bigger. For everything you plan you need bigger than a subcompact. I'm not sure our JD 5200 is big enough to lift full 1/2 ton macro bins. You better do some home work and check with your dealer.

We are John Deere people - still made in America. Kubota is good too. I'm not sure how good the others (Ford/New Holland, Massey Ferguson) are these days.

I am moments away from taking a trip to Racine, WI. Do you want me to check out a new Case International Harverster for you while I am there? :)

Latest posts

Back