WineXpert Buying a new kit...what's next...hmmmm???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideways2

Reaction score
Morning!!!

So...off this weekend to buy a new kit...here are a few that I an interested in...

Selection Original - Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot
World Vineyard - California Trinity Red
Vintners Reserve - Bergamais
- Coastal Red

I have the Vintners Reserve - Vieux Chateau du Roi and the World Vineyard Collection - Italian Sangiovese going...should be ready for bottling at the beginning of June.

I want to start a better kit but I kinda like the Beaujolais\Bordeaux style of wine...Should I try the Cab\Merlot??

Suggestions??

Thanks!!

Dave

Last edited:
Buy what you like to drink.
Buy the best you can afford. The more juice in the kit generally the quality is better.

Based on your list, if you like those, I would try the Spanish Rioja. Tempranillo. That's a Selection International.

IMO, I tend to like blends more than a single varietal; based on your list, go for the trinity red or cab/merlot blend.

Interesting...I never considered a Spanish Rioja...never had a wine from Spain...gonna have to go buy a bottle tonight and try...thanks!!!!

I did the cab/merlot blend before. It wasn't anything to write home about. I've heard the flavors of the trinity blend are good, but it can be a bit thin. I'd save up and buy a higher end kit, or an international selection.
If you like blends, I'd look at the Luna Rosa. I did the Mezza Luna Rosa and it turned out pretty good and I think the higher end style would be even better.

I am leaning towards blends myself...just had a Bordeaux last night...wonderful!! Couldn't find anything in one of the stores for Rioja...found a Spanish Cab though!!! Didn't opt for it though...maybe today :)

Here's the thing...money is not the issue...the wine is...seems like there isn't to many blends to choose from in the upper end kits...like where are the Beaujolais and the Bordeaux's in the International series??

The Cab\Merlot is one...there is this one too...Australian Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvèdre...which I have no idea LOL!!!

Looks like the World and the Vintners are the picks for blends?? Am I missing something??

Thanks!!

HA!!!

Got it!!! From another suggestion I tracked down a Selection International French Gamay Nouveau Limited Release from last fall!!!

Should be in my hands shortly :)

Super fantastic!!!

For a Bordeaux blend I would also suggest the Spagnols BC Meritage - it is a Cab Sauv/Merlot/Cab Franc blend and in my opinion is an excellent wine. It oiriginally came out as an RQ but has recently been added to their Cru Select line as a regular offering. It is not in their latest catalogue so your retailer may not be a ware of it. It comes with a dried grapeskin pack as well as dried elderberries. I highly recommend it.

Thanks Dugger!!

I have looked at that one already and one retailer in town does carry it...awesome for you to recommend it...thanks!!!

I do want to try a different brand of kit and a Bordeaux blend Meritage would be great!!!

Can you tell me which type of Bordeaux it leans towards...the more Cab or the more Merlot??

I noticed too that the Trinity Red is the same way...a Bordeaux blend...but alas it's a 10L kit!!

Thanks!!

I don't know the % of Cab/Merlot but I find the Cab is the dominant one in this blend; however, we had some company last week and one of them thought the Merlot shone through. It's about 15 months old now. Guess that doesn't help you much!!

No...that actually does...thanks!!!

I'll go down this weekend and have a look!!

Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back