Buon Vino jet filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never read that post but must say thats its either the lighting or that wine is why cleaner looking in the after shots.

Thanks for the linky mississippi. I also agree with wade, either the light got better or the wine got clearer :).

Scuba

Hey scuba, if you're interested in the mini-jet check out this site . Brand new$165 and free shipping.
smiley4.gif
http://Listermann.com

Thanks for the linky HD93, but I placed my order last night and that is the same price george is charging right now with the jet being toy of the month. I also like to throw george the business whenever possible.

Scubaman2151

Scuba, did you order the mini jet with the 5 packs of filters included or just buy a few on the side?

I didnt know which 5 packs were included in that, and it was like 2:30am so I couldnt call george. So I just order some packs on the side.

Scuba

It says right on there that it comes with 5 packs of the polishing pads. Oh well, you probably bought a variation anyway.

I have been very happy with my minijet.But just beware that you must first clear the wine by aging or fining. The filter will not handle a cloudy wine. Also, be sure to rack off finings before filtering, or you may end up with a cloudy wine after running it through the filter. The filter makes a clear wine sparkle.

I have a SuperJet, been using it happily for 1 and a half years and strongly recommend you get a SuperJet. Made and filtered 30 batches, alwasy happy with how the SuperJet performed.

This is the single best investment I've made next to my FillJet. If you are considering a MiniJet skip it and go straight to the SuperJet.

I use the medium pads on my whites and reds with less body (Gamay, Pinot Noir) and the corase pads on my heavier reds (Cab, Syrah, Carmenere)

My wines are crystal clear and look awesome. I rack before filtering, and let the wine bulk age after filtering. Make sure to soak the pads for 5 minutes well before using the SuperJet. I park my SuperJet in a basting pan to catch any stray wines.The winestend to bulk age quicker and more gracefully at many proteins are removed.

We get compliments all over and had place well in local competitions having 200+ entries.
Hope this helps, you'll be happy you picked up a SuperJet,I am.

So is waiting a few days between filtering and bottling necessary or not? I use my MiniJet to filter from carboy to primary and then immediately bottle, but now I'm wondering if I've been doing it right.

Hi Mark, I had not had any problems with sediment and I have gone from filtering , to carboy, to bottle just fine once I got my process down. Only word of caution to be sure your wine is fully degassed before filtering. If it still has gas in it, while the filter will pull a decent amount out, it will not pull it all out. I had made this error when I first got my filter becauseI was quite eager to take ot for a spin, as a result I had a Sangiovese that tasted great but has a little fizz, so it needed to breath a little before consumption. Hope this helps and enjoy your filter.

I do not have any problems at all with sediment in my bottles after filtering but then again one needs to have racked and fined the wine at approriate interval prior to filtering it to remove most of the sediment. I know some folks whom use the filters to remove proteins from their wines and while the filters can do a good job at that taskthis is forced method of doing so and I feel it just makes one go through filter pads too fast and strips too much color and body from the wines. I rack at least 3 times (once shot with bentonite orreccomended fining agents) till the wine is still and sediment barely falls in a months time. For whitesand lighter body reds I use a medium filter, all others wines a coarse filter.

I've either read on a website or in the instructions that it is recommended to let the wine sit for a few days before bottling. But I was so far behind on bottling carboys and could not start new wines that I filtered and bottled on the same day for the last six batches. I taste and observe no difference in the result.

Thats right, get that new wine cooking ASAP, thats my motto.
smiley4.gif
This past fall I had my 16 year old son and two of his buddies filling and corking for me. They did 40+ gallons in under 2 hours and it only cost me a McD's run and some hawk like supervision. The door to the wine cellar stays locked in my house. . .

My wines were well degassed and clear prior to filtering, and I've not had any sediment fall out post-filtering (other than wine diamonds on 23L non-cold-stabilized wines). Guess I should have been more explicit - I meant to ask if waiting between filtering and bottling affected the taste vs just bottling right away, but you answered that too so Thanks for the feedback!

I have minijet as well - I degassed, wait a few weeks, degas again, wait a few weeksprior to filtering (just using the drill mounted stirrer method to degas) - I filter right into a primary fermenter with spigot and bottle immediately - it seems to work fine for me with no sediment and I dont see any air bubbles or anything - I am sure I could degas better tho

Back