Buon Vino and tap water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
I noticed a few of my kits, specifically the white with the #2 filter pads taste slightly like wet paper or chemically. I never really noticed anything with my reds but i also only filter them with the #3 pads. At any rate i started running citric acid in a gallon of water through the pads prior to running sulphites through the pump section only. Would running tap water through the filter pads with citric acid be a cause for infection to the wine even if i sanitize the glass gallon jar? I should also mention i have city water thats hauled in but it has chlorine like all city water...i dont drink it although we use it to cook and brush our teeth with and never had an issue.

I noticed a few of my kits, specifically the white with the #2 filter pads taste slightly like wet paper or chemically. I never really noticed anything with my reds but i also only filter them with the #3 pads. At any rate i started running citric acid in a gallon of water through the pads prior to running sulphites through the pump section only. Would running tap water through the filter pads with citric acid be a cause for infection to the wine even if i sanitize the glass gallon jar? I should also mention i have city water thats hauled in but it has chlorine like all city water...i dont drink it although we use it to cook and brush our teeth with and never had an issue.

No, it shouldn’t be a problem, I soak my pads in a Kmeta / Citric solution, rinse them, then run the solution through the entire system for a minute or two. Don’t filter very often, but when I do, typically do a run with coarse pads first, polishing pads to finish up. Never had a problem with taste.
I’d suggest for your situation, that you mix up a gallon of Kmeta/Citrc sanitizer using store bought water, and run that through the system for a few minutes, prior to filtering your wine. It’ll sanitize everything that your wine will touch in addition to flushing out the pads.

No, it shouldn’t be a problem, I soak my pads in a Kmeta / Citric solution, rinse them, then run the solution through the entire system for a minute or two. Don’t filter very often, but when I do, typically do a run with coarse pads first, polishing pads to finish up. Never had a problem with taste.
I’d suggest for your situation, that you mix up a gallon of Kmeta/Citrc sanitizer using store bought water, and run that through the system for a few minutes, prior to filtering your wine. It’ll sanitize everything that your wine will touch in addition to flushing out the pads.
They said specifically not to use k meta around the pads though which is why i havent. I run k meta through the pump section only, typically i just soak the filters in RO water and go as per normal. However the white wine had that taste so the last kit i did i ran citric acid and tap water through the whole assembly after and than sprayed down the plates seperately than reinstalled the filters. I also followed up by running k meta through the pump section after. So really the only thing that made contact with the tap water was the pads. I typically filter the wines pretty young, basically when the kit tells you to bottle or filter. If i feel like it and on my heavy oaked red after filtering and instead of bottling i bulk age for a month or two before bottling.

If your saying you run citric acid and kmeta through everyhing including the filters than i might aswell do that as its easier.

Last edited:
When I was using a plate filter I always ran some water through the pads first to get rid of that initial paper taste. some distilled water works well if you don't want to run some kmeta solution.
Then when I switch to wine I am discaring the first bit that comes through until I see the colour change to the wine colour so as not to water down the wine.

Now I use the all-in-one pump with a whole house style filter. Those are plastic and I don't bother running anything through them first. I do sanitize them with star san and then shake them out after.

They said specifically not to use k meta around the pads though which is why i havent. I run k meta through the pump section only, typically i just soak the filters in RO water and go as per normal. However the white wine had that taste so the last kit i did i ran citric acid and tap water through the whole assembly after and than sprayed down the plates seperately than reinstalled the filters. I also followed up by running k meta through the pump section after. So really the only thing that made contact with the tap water was the pads. I typically filter the wines pretty young, basically when the kit tells you to bottle or filter. If i feel like it and on my heavy oaked red after filtering and instead of bottling i bulk age for a month or two before bottling.

If your saying you run citric acid and kmeta through everyhing including the filters than i might aswell do that as its easier.

Been a long time since reading the instructions........I’ve always run sanitizer through the whole shooting match, run it dry to get rid of the sanitizer, then started the wine, also running the first bit of clear liquid through til the wine starts flowing.

Most of my wines are filtered with the #2 pads. I run the pads under the sink faucet, before using them, to remove any loose fibers that may be on the pads. Then I assemble the Buon Vino filter and begin filtering the wine. The first few ounces are collected in an empty wine bottle to be discarded and the rest is filtered into my bottling bucket.

I have never noticed a cardboard taste using this method but I did notice an off taste several years ago when I first started filtering. At that time, I was cleaning the filters in a Kmeta solution. Could it be that I've gotten use to the taste and there is no connection to the early Kmeta use? I don't know but I've not had anyone taste my wines and mention a cardboard taint.

Most of my wines are filtered with the #2 pads. I run the pads under the sink faucet, before using them, to remove any loose fibers that may be on the pads. Then I assemble the Buon Vino filter and begin filtering the wine. The first few ounces are collected in an empty wine bottle to be discarded and the rest is filtered into my bottling bucket.

I have never noticed a cardboard taste using this method but I did notice an off taste several years ago when I first started filtering. At that time, I was cleaning the filters in a Kmeta solution. Could it be that I've gotten use to the taste and there is no connection to the early Kmeta use? I don't know but I've not had anyone taste my wines and mention a cardboard taint.

Maybe some are more susceptible to the taste, i noticed it in carmenere if i remeber correctly but it aged out. The worst was a savignon blanc which is a lighter wine, i notice that every bottle has a slight taste...its still good but has a slight taste. It could be that reds are gernally more flavorful ans tannic and mask the taste.

Been a long time since reading the instructions........I’ve always run sanitizer through the whole shooting match, run it dry to get rid of the sanitizer, then started the wine, also running the first bit of clear liquid through til the wine starts flowing.

Well i really dont see what the problem would be from running kmeta through the filters. There is kmeta in the wine, although far less. The instructions just say its not reccomended. If i could use kmeta and just run it through thr whole system it would be much easier and quicker...it doesnt hurt to try though as i dont think it would ruin the batch.

Latest posts

Back