Bung over-inserted

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet

Reaction score
I was trying to replace the airlock in my 6gl carboy with a solid bung. I kept inserting it and it kept popping out. I kept pushing and now it's about 1" past flush. I'm not sure if it's actually sealed or how to get it out.

Any suggestions?

was this a solid bung that you pushed in? Trick is make sure the bung is dry. When wet ti has little to grab on to and will slide out.
BIGGER question, why do you want to put a solid bung on ?

Youd either have to try and sneak something past a corner enough to be able to gar it on its way back out or push it all the way in and then use the bag to retrive it. heres a link for you to see how this is done and it works great but not with any wine in the carboy!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1ovAYtKuQ[/ame]

Get yourself a toggle bolt. It needs to be several inches long, and the toggles need to be small. They can't exceed the width of the bottom of the bung. Make sure you add a washer that is bigger than the opening of the carboy.

This will give you a good grip on the bung to remove it.

And yes why are you using a solid bung? I had a problem with my bungs popping out. What I do now is after I've sprayed the bung with K-Meta, I'll rotate it around the side of my hand (they are sanitized). This dries the bung enough so it won't pop out.

When inserting, insert at an angle so that as you've reached a seal and are pushing it in a little the fluid in the airlock will become mostly centered rather than more towards the opening.

I'd already tried a corkscrew, but it would not even start. Immediately after posting my question, I went into the garage. Several minutes later, I returned with my cordless drill and a drywall screw. I ended up chucking the screw in my drill and screwing it into the bung until the chuck hit the mouth of the carboy. I slowly pulled out the drill and the bung came out.

I was using a solid bung as instructed by the book Home Winemaking Step by Step by Jon Iverson.

The problem with a solid bung is something as simple as barometric pressure changes can cause the solid bung to either pop out or potentially get sucked in the carboy, though out is the most common.

Thus, leaving your wine exposed for Who Knows How Long before you catch it.

An airlock saves this problem as long as you check for fluid levels every once in a while preventing it from drying out.

The book says to use a solid stopper as a way to check for H2S.

So, what's the purpose of a solid bung?

I use them to keep critters and bugs out of my empty clean carboys.

Don't despair, there are many many ways to make wine. Airlocks aren't the only way...just a proven way. I'd guess that it's a more recent practice as you never see an airlock sticking out of an oak barrel in the movies. haha.

You can use the solid bung. But I would monitor it.

I assume it means that the solid stopper is used to check(stop) the loss of S02 through the airlock. There is no way to check for H2S with a solid bung!

Here's a quote from the book, "If the stopper keeps popping out, this is a signal that microbes are busy at work, converting H2S into mercaptans and disulfides."

Latest posts

Back