bulk storage problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Junior
Reaction score
I need so help,'I started an apple wine 6 months ago,
every thing seem fine until friday when I check the air lock I noticed that the inch of air in the neck of my carboy was gone the wine had swelled up and you could see it in the bottom of my air lock.
I can also see bubbles floating to the top , what going on?
if it started fermintaion again why did it well?

Last edited:
Good Job on Mike on creating a new thread and welcome to the forum. I will delete the post I moved for you. Anyway, It is probably atmospheric pressure creating this. Works like a barometer does. Do you have any weather in the area? Also, is this a glass or plastic carboy?

BTW, you don't live out on the east coast where that tropical storm is coming through do you? I know when I get a hurricane or tropical storm in the area my carboys will do this.

Glass but I have another sitting beside it and it seems fine about an inch of air in the neck?
could it be spoiled?

Spoiling isn't going to make the level raise like that unless you got stuff growing in there.

The bubbles can be gas beig released from the wine. When was the last time you degassed? Or did you yet? As far as thr swelling I'm thinking along what Smurf said "air pressure".

I degassed it at about the three month mark when i moved into a climate control room in my home (76 dgree) and set it up for bulk ageing. to degass it I simple stired it with a drill and laddle for about 5 or so min. if it was air pressure would it not have done it to my 5 month old peach wine in a carboy? sitting right nest ro it?

would it float or be in the bottom if there was somthing growing?
the reason i ask is not only do I keep them in a climate control room(76 degree) but also in a strafoam container about one inch thick.
and I can't see the very bottom once I put in the foam container.

Last edited:
Well, not sure> Personally I would not worry about it right now. Relax.
Have you tasted it yet?

not yet I'll go ahead a rack this weekend and re airlock it, If you think of anything please drop me a note.
Thanks to both of you

Have you added sulfites to this since it was done fermenting cause if not malo-lactic fermentation can start and depending on the wine can be a good or bad thing. Ive had weather changes change the pressure in one carboy way more then the other and I think its due to a different viscosity of the wines. I highly dought there is anything wrong with your wine and even temp quick changes cn cause this height fluctuation.

Latest posts

Back