Bulk buying honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalahobbit

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there

I live in the UK and have been making some wines during the past year and want to try mead next. I wondered how you can buy honey (in bigger than 1lb jars). And I've noticed that it's also a tad expensive to buy!

To be fair I haven't tried somewhere like Holland & Barrets yet but I've looked for local beekeepers (expensive?), the internet and supermarkets.

I want to get a few gallons of different simple single honey meads going to see how they taste.

I'd suggest talking to your local bee keepers. If you explain that you don't need the fancy labelled jars and are quite happy to take it 'neat' i'm sure you'll strike a better deal. Avoid the internet/mail order as you'll pay through the nose on delivery charges.

I am in the U.S. but I normally buy from a local bee keeper. Much cheaper than at the markets. I take a sanitized plastic milk jug and they fill it up for me. Where I buy is half the price of in the retail stores, plus it is right around the corner from me so I don't have to travel as well. This keeper only sells locally. He does not ship his honey as he says his local customers buy up all he produces and he has no desire to expand his production.

Smurfe :)

Trade honey for wine

Hi there

I live in the UK and have been making some wines during the past year and want to try mead next. I wondered how you can buy honey (in bigger than 1lb jars). And I've noticed that it's also a tad expensive to buy!

To be fair I haven't tried somewhere like Holland & Barrets yet but I've looked for local beekeepers (expensive?), the internet and supermarkets.

I want to get a few gallons of different simple single honey meads going to see how they taste.

A friend of mine is a bee keeper so I get my honey for free :)

I suggest you search for a local beekeeper and make a deal with him to trade
some of his honey to some future wines from you.

I have traded some of my wines to a local farmer for a supply of milk and eggs.

Luc

Latest posts

Back