Bulk bottle storage for aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxtrendsguy

Reaction score
Stacking bottles for bulk storage and aging is a fun little exercise. We are currently using steel wire cages from U-Line that can hold up to 4000 lbs and are stackable. We can get about 800 bottles in a cage that is 48"Lx40"Wx42"H. Has anyone come up with any other innovative methods of stacking a lot of bottles?

I don’t have an alternative, but I wondered about the product you use and looked it up:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...B6E-ENiNgLLrMhsxuYhoCf5EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It looks like a nice solution. I see they are stackable when they are folded. Can you stack them when they are full? And can you then still open the gate with another crate on top? If yes, storing 1600 bottles with two stacked crates with a 48x40 footprint and still having access to all the bottles through the gates looks pretty sweet.

I don’t have an alternative, but I wondered about the product you use and looked it up:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...B6E-ENiNgLLrMhsxuYhoCf5EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It looks like a nice solution. I see they are stackable when they are folded. Can you stack them when they are full? And can you then still open the gate with another crate on top? If yes, storing 1600 bottles with two stacked crates with a 48x40 footprint and still having access to all the bottles through the gates looks pretty sweet.

As far as I understand it they can be stacked one on top of the other fully loaded. I have yet to try it but am getting close as space is becoming a premium. They are reinforced in the right spots to be stackable...going to try it sooner or later...

Stacking bottles for bulk storage and aging is a fun little exercise. We are currently using steel wire cages from U-Line that can hold up to 4000 lbs and are stackable. We can get about 800 bottles in a cage that is 48"Lx40"Wx42"H. Has anyone come up with any other innovative methods of stacking a lot of bottles?

I don't know if it will work or if there is a better solution. I just wish I had your problem!

I like the idea of the diamonds not having 90 degree corners. Mine is similar, with 90 degree corners, but will soon run out of space. My plan is to build another section in front of it, bi-parting with hinges on the sides and a caster or 2 on the bottom.

I'm sure they're stackable, accessible and can hold 4000 lbs. But looking at this picture of stacked units I would be a little concerned about having the top fully loaded with what appears to be an unreinforced front side frame.

Site is not specific about it. BUT if they are not able to fully close I’d just use a little tie wire to close em as much as they could. Or d-ring clips or something. Badabing badaboom.

When I stack I will only be going a total to two cages...three or four would scare the heck out of me from a lateral stability issue. I suppose if you stacked them in columns and then next to one another it would be ok as that would add to the lateral stability.......

Not that I don't believe you but I'm having a tough time understanding the concept of the efficiency. Does it somehow make the void between the bottles smaller?

Perfect alley oop! Because now sour_grapes is salivating at the opportunity to explain this and typing away. He gets to utilize geometry, carpentry, and wine all in one.

**im assuming 60° corners allow less wasted space. Where 15 bottles fit a section as opposed to 13. ... ish.

Last edited:
Perfect alley oop! Because now sour_grapes is salivating at the opportunity to explain this and typing away. He gets to utilize geometry, carpentry, and wine all in one.

**im assuming 60° corners allow less wasted space. Where 15 bottles fit a section as opposed to 13. ... ish.

He did seem to be kind of bored. I just wanted to help him out.

When I stack I will only be going a total to two cages...three or four would scare the heck out of me from a lateral stability issue. I suppose if you stacked them in columns and then next to one another it would be ok as that would add to the lateral stability.......

If you could put 800 bottles in a bin, according to my math at 3 lbs per bottle it would only be 2400 lbs. Almost half of the capacity, feeling a little better about it.

I might have the most ghetto system around currently. And just use the cardboard bottle cases on their sides. Kinda playing with fire as bottles are consumed. I try to fill the void using empties.
I do have a section claimed for built-ins. And an inside corner allows me to get fancy with it. Mentally I’m picturing single slats with rounded corner shelves. In due time. Can’t wait to sink my teeth into that one.

Not that I don't believe you but I'm having a tough time understanding the concept of the efficiency. Does it somehow make the void between the bottles smaller?
Having the angles at 60 deg instead of 90 increases the storage efficiency by about 15%. Not a ton, but nothing to sneeze at!

I guess the phrase is "I stand corrected" but I just questioned you and did not disagree so I can't use that.Just did some simple calculations and you are correct. I came up with closer to 10% but again it was just a quick calculation.

Yes, exactly what it does. Here are a couple of images from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_packing that should visually explain it.

Square_tiling_circle_packing.png

360px-Triangular_tiling_circle_packing.png

Jeez, you guys, I hadn't seen your chit-chat when I posted my pictures!

Okay okay, you want numbers, huh? :) The packing fraction for a square pile is pi/4, or 0.785. The packing fraction for 60 degrees is sqrt(3)*pi/6, or 0.907. The ratio of those two is 0.866, for a ~15% improvement.

Latest posts

Back