Bulk Boiling Used Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rojoguio

Reaction score
Thought I would post this as it worked very well. Not only did all the visible sediment boil out but I was able to remove 48 labels in 15 minutes. Now a small amount of glue residue was left on some of the bottles. That will be removed with adhesive remover.

I used our 100qt crab boiling pot & basket. Boiled the bottles 30 minutes at a rolling boil, allowed them to rest for 5 hours, pulled the bottles with a insulated glove and removed the labels with a razor scraper. After removing labels I just shook each bottle as I dumped the still very hot water out and all residue was gone. I will Star-San today, dry on rack, and place mini ziploc craft bags over the neck and seal with a rubber band till needed for bottling the wine I have made.

100qt Boiling Pot.jpg
24 750ml Bottles.jpg
Bottles Basket Insulated Glove.jpg

I do a similar thing, except just very hot water and oxyclean, generally can remove labels from 3 cases in about a two hour soak and then 30 minutes of cleaning. One thing I don't do is the star san spritz and cover. I store mine upside down and then sanitize right before I use them only. I use the pressurized bottle washer and pump that @vacuumpumpman sells over at Wine Pump | All in One Wine Pump. It takes care of removing anything i might have missed in my cleaning.

I have 250+ empty wine bottles and picking up 2 cases a week now. If I boil in the morning and let it sit all day while doing other projects, they clean up very easy. We are bottling 13 gallons this weekend. Lemon, Mandarin, Blueberry, Plum, and the Blueberry - Plum - Lemon batch. Finished sanitizing all bottles needed for this bottling session.

Latest posts

Back