Other Bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you guys decide to bulk age a kit that supplies chitosan and keiselsol do you still use them? Also, if bulk aging with out having means to test s02, do you add more k meta periodically?

I bulk age everything. I don't test SO2, I just add 1/4 tsp every three or four months or 1/2 tsp every six months. And which I do is a toss up and more based on when I think I am going to be removing the oak I usually add. (I make mostly heavy reds). I do not add the clearing agents when the kit manufacturers say to add it, but nearer to bottling time. I know any CO2 is gone at that point and the clearing agents do a much better job.

I bulk age everything. I don't test SO2, I just add 1/4 tsp every three or four months or 1/2 tsp every six months. And which I do is a toss up and more based on when I think I am going to be removing the oak I usually add. (I make mostly heavy reds). I do not add the clearing agents when the kit manufacturers say to add it, but nearer to bottling time. I know any CO2 is gone at that point and the clearing agents do a much better job.
So you don't degas either, let it happen naturally?

If you guys decide to bulk age a kit that supplies chitosan and keiselsol do you still use them? Also, if bulk aging with out having means to test s02, do you add more k meta periodically?
I mostly use the K&C, especially with whites.

Like Craig, I don't bother with SO2 testing and add 1/4 tsp K-meta per 5/6 gallons at each racking (post-fermentation) and every 3 months during bulk aging.

So you don't degas either, let it happen naturally?
I started manually degassing all wines a few years back.

Consider that "manual degassing" does not remove all CO2. It kick starts the process, causing the wine to emit a lot of CO2 during the process, and the wine continues to emit CO2 during following days and weeks. Using a drill-mounted stirring rod, I stir for 20-30 seconds and change direction 3 to 5 times. For some wines I may stir for 1 to 2 minutes total. If bulk aging, IME there is no need to stir more.

Why manually degas? As Craig said, CO2 holds sediment in suspension, so removing it helps the wine clear sooner. I want the wine clear before going into barrel as it saves racking-n-cleaning the barrel more often than necessary, and it saves racking carboys.

I mostly use the K&C, especially with whites.

Like Craig, I don't bother with SO2 testing and add 1/4 tsp K-meta per 5/6 gallons at each racking (post-fermentation) and every 3 months during bulk aging.

I started manually degassing all wines a few years back.

Consider that "manual degassing" does not remove all CO2. It kick starts the process, causing the wine to emit a lot of CO2 during the process, and the wine continues to emit CO2 during following days and weeks. Using a drill-mounted stirring rod, I stir for 20-30 seconds and change direction 3 to 5 times. For some wines I may stir for 1 to 2 minutes total. If bulk aging, IME there is no need to stir more.

Why manually degas? As Craig said, CO2 holds sediment in suspension, so removing it helps the wine clear sooner. I want the wine clear before going into barrel as it saves racking-n-cleaning the barrel more often than necessary, and it saves racking carboys.
So at this point I followed kit directions, a lot of clearing has occurred. Its been almost 2 weeks since I added K&C.
Would you recommend racking again or just wait 2-3 months? This kit i may have screwed up because I added water stupidly to top up the wine.

@winemaker81
1. Is K-Meta the same thing as Potassium Metabisulphite or Potassium Sorbate?
2. Do you dissolve it in water or wine or just add it directly to the wine in it's powders form?

Last edited:
1. Is K-Meta the same thing as Potassium Metabisulphite or Potassium Sorbate?
What Paul said (@sour_grapes).

Potassium sorbate, commonly referred to as just sorbate, is birth control for yeast. If you are backsweetening a wine, you add sorbate along with K-meta to prevent a renewed fermentation in the bottle. If you are making a dry wine, sorbate is unnecessary. Further, follow package directions regarding amount, as excess sorbate can produce off-flavors and aromas (geranium).

In kits the "finishing pack" is a mixture of K-meta + sorbate, which vendors include to help prevent beginners from making 2+ cases of mini-volcanoes (referment in the bottle). When making kits, I date them and toss 'em in a drawer, and bin 'em 12-15 month later, as sorbate has a limited shelf life, and finding out yours has expired after bottling is an expensive lesson.

For dry wines, instead of the finishing pack, add 1/4 tsp K-meta at bottling time.

Latest posts

Back