bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used a stopper, and some of my stuff has sat around for months. Just check now and again to make sure the liquid level is good in the airlock. I prefer 3-piece airlocks because of the greater volume of liquid they hold (as well as how easy they are to clean).

I'm guessing if you have any variation in temperature, the expansion of the wine and gases inside could push a stopper out without you knowing.

Thanks

I have never understood bulk aging unless you are using a barrel. Once the wine is cleared and oaked to your satisfaction why not bottle it and age in a bottle with a much superior seal?

Terry

After 2-3 months, I start using a Silicone Vented Bung. Basically a one-way airlock. It lets CO2 out, and very little gets back in.

I have never understood bulk aging unless you are using a barrel. Once the wine is cleared and oaked to your satisfaction ...

I let time do my clearing and degassing to my satisfaction. 9-12 months is what I plan for.

I cannot say what is "better" but here is what I do and why. I bulk age in carboys or barrels under airlock. I prefer the S-shape airlocks for two reasons, a. you can readily see what is happening regarding pressure inside the carboy or barrel and b. I find that the smaller cross-section of liquid in the airlock exposed to the atmosphere results in a much slower evaporation than the three piece airlock. I have not been disappointed in following this method.

A degree of oxidation is necessary to bring life to the wine. I know we are all taught that oxidation is bad but that is in reference to excessive oxidation. oxidation takes place through the wine making process, even when bottled, However the type of oxidation is different in the two aging processes. therefor in order to get the most from any wine they should experience both bulk and bottle aging. Those who have never seriously bulk aged wine can not know the effects, but those who follow strict regimens of aging can tell first swallow.
For your own satisfaction try this experiment place wine in a bottle with a cork, place the same wine in a bottle with an oxygen barrier cap, set in the cellar for a year, then sample both. you will see the difference in character of the same wine with and without proper oxidation.

I have plenty of stoppers! would you like some? They sit on my shelves waiting for an empty carboy like the Maytag repair man. So they can stop the dust and bugs from getting in the carboy when not in use.

LOOK there is one at work in at the bottom center!!!

SANY0011.jpg

I use an S-lock. I've gotten into the habit of making the majority of my wines in warmer months and bulk aging over winter. My under stair bulk area ranges in temp from 70f in summer to 50f in the dead of winter for the last two seasons. I've not seen much retraction of the fluid column in the airlock at temps sink colder. While not a true cold stabilization, the cooler temps do seem to precipitate out some tartaric acid crystals. As someone who does not filter winter bulk aging makes for less sediment in the bottles compared to my bottle aged stuff under the same conditions.

After a few months of bulk aging in a barrel or carboy under airlock, I switch to a solid bung.

One other benefit of bulk aging: A six gallon carboy takes up less room than 30 bottles.

Latest posts

Back