Bulk aging Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I'll be starting my next kit in two weeks. Instructions say to bottle in six weeks, but was curious if anyone bulk ages and if so, how long?

I had my Sangio bulk age for a little over three months but most of that time it was sitting in oak so I'd think since I'm not anything to it besides the f-pack it wouldn't really change much.

I made a California Connoisseur kit last year and bottled it according to the instructions. The early drinkers were okay, but it improved fairly significantly at about the 10 month mark. I just made an RJS Grand Cru version (10L) this summer and I let that bulk age for 6 months before bottling. Based on the prior experience I am hoping to let the bottles lie for a couple more months before digging in. It tasted pretty good on bottling day. I'm hoping that it gets real good while there are still plenty of bottles left in the rack.

I have read others comments that kit Riesling needs a year to mature. It should not matter if it's done in bulk or in the bottle, except that aging in bulk impairs your ability to consume them early.

I bulk age my whites for at least 3 months. Sometimes as long as 6 months for some whites that take longer to come around. Riesling is an early drinker. If you do bottle at 6 weeks you risk the fact that many times fine sediment that is not visible to the eye falls out after you bottle and you end up with a nice thin layer of brown sediment on the bottom of each bottle.

Back