Bulk Aging Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DG2001

Reaction score
I have several questions pertaining to bulk aging wine. Are there any cons to bulk aging a mostly degassed wine in a PET carboy with only an sealed orange carboy cap (without air lock)? I open the carboy occasionally to sample, check sulfite levels, check pH/TA, and adjust acid. As long as I keep the carboy topped up and sulfite levels in 30-50 range, should I be worried that I am accidentally oxidizing my wine by opening the carboy? I only worry since the wine is mostly degassed. I do have a bottle of CO2 that I could purge the headspace with if you guys think it would help. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hi NorCal,
The particular wine I am referring to has been in the PET carboy for about 1.5 months, but was planning on leaving in PET for 3-4 months total. If you feel that I am at an elevated risk of oxidation, I will rack to glass. What is an appropriate time you would feel safe to leave in PET? Also do you see any problems with the opening of the carboy periodically like mentioned in the previous post? Thanks

I bulk age as long as 3 months in either (I have both) a Bubbler or Better Bottle plastic 6 gallon carboy. No ill effects that I've noticed. I do however cover the opening with Saran Wrap and don't open until it is time to rack to a pail for bottling.

I have bulk aged some of mine in pet carboy for a year with no issues, using an airlock!

Back