bulk aging longer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone describe "Kit wine taste?" I wouldn't know what to expect.

My ports don't have KWT that I can tell, but they have other very strong flavors that would mask it like the heavy-toast oak, espresso powder, flavor bag, and fortifying alcohol I used. Mine were kits.
The ports I've made are 100% juice, no water added. If my hypothesis is correct, that KWT is related to the concentrate, then it makes sense that ports don't exhibit it.

Can someone describe "Kit wine taste?" I wouldn't know what to expect.
It's hard to describe -- an off flavor that detracts from the taste of the grape type. The one telling point is that if you taste several wines that exhibit kit taste, they off flavor is very similar between them.

Supposedly there is going to be a source in Ashland VA starting this fall. Looks like a 3 hour one way trip for you if your source dissolves. Again, supposedly, they will have spring grapes in 2022.
My s-in-l lives near there, so I'm familiar with the area. My son & I want to do a Rhone blend this fall, but can't get Grenache as it ripens prior to Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot, which are the grapes our order is based around. If I can get decent Grenache (or other Rhone grapes) this is of interest. Can you point me to a source of information?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back