WineXpert Bulk aging kit question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryW

Reaction score
So I think I hear you saying bulk aging is preferable. How much difference does it make.
If I want to bulk age a kit, should I go ahead and stabilize and clear according to directions and then bulk age?:d
Ps: vintners reserve merlot with added raisins;)

Yes. Typically my juices clear over a 6 week period. I then rack, add a pinch of Pot. Meta. and put it under airlock with as little head space as possible (usually 1 inch). I'll place it in an out-of-the-way spot in my wine cellar and leave it alone short of looking at it frequently.

As the temps . swing in the summer I'll watch to make sure wine doesn't rise into th eairlock. Many rack and add Pot. Meta. every 3 months or so, I do not. My whites and fruits I'll age 6 months, sweeten ( add sorbate) and bottle a week later. My reds (I add oak) I'll age thru early Sept. when I start all over again.

This season I've/am making 118 gallons including champagne.

Last edited:
If your going to bulk age there is no reason to use a fining agent. Patience will clear it all on its own and you can save some money by saving the fining agent for a later time on a fruit wine or something that wont clear on its own like a Peach or Apple, they can be stubborn sometimes.

So I think I hear you saying bulk aging is preferable. How much difference does it make.
If I want to bulk age a kit, should I go ahead and stabilize and clear according to directions and then bulk age?:d
Ps: vintners reserve merlot with added raisins;)
I age all my reds at least 6-12 months

If your going to bulk age there is no reason to use a fining agent. Patience will clear it all on its own and you can save some money by saving the fining agent for a later time on a fruit wine or something that wont clear on its own like a Peach or Apple, they can be stubborn sometimes.

I like to get the majority of the lees and sediment out within 6 weeks. Any more won't hurt the wine. After that racking I won't rack again as others do (3 months) and add k-meta. It's left alone till bottling time.

I do have a blueberry self clearing so I'll see how that turns out. I'm doing it Luc style.

if you age in the carboy for 6-12 months before bottling, how long do you age in the bottle? will it still take 12-24 months for most reds to open or will that process shorten since the aging occurred in the carboy? Did i hear you say you use oak (presume chips) while you bulk age in carboy? do you leave the chips in for the whole year? Sorry for 10,000 questions, still trying to understand options.

When adding oak if you are bulk aging then add in small quantities so as not to over oak it otherwise youll have to rack it off the oak. Aging wie is aging wine so wether you do it in carboy or bottle doesnt matter but carboy is better for a few reasons. 1) is to let it dgeas itself better, 2) is to let it drop out all of the sediment it will, 3) it will age better if you dont have great cellar conditions.

Latest posts

Back