Bulk aging in a cool wet basement.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im fermenting up stairs but want to bulk age in the basement. It is always cool down there (at the most 70 degrees.) It also is wet. Flood zone with a high water table so there is a steady trinkle of water that goes around the edge in a channel.

I plan on putting the carboys on a pallet on the floor so if it floods (which it does sometimes) the carboys will be out of the water.

Once aged and bottled i want to store down there on shelves as well.

Do you think this will work?

Im fermenting up stairs but want to bulk age in the basement. It is always cool down there (at the most 70 degrees.) It also is wet. Flood zone with a high water table so there is a steady trinkle of water that goes around the edge in a channel.

I plan on putting the carboys on a pallet on the floor so if it floods (which it does sometimes) the carboys will be out of the water.

Once aged and bottled i want to store down there on shelves as well.

Do you think this will work?
Oh, I need to watch this thread as I have the exact same conditions, 100-year-old house, old dungeon of a basement, damp and cool all year round, with water running across the floor.

Can’t see why not. I’ve seen old caves in Hungary where there is water leaking down the walls and mold everywhere. Temperatures sound good. I’d just make sure I wipe up real good with kmeta solution anytime I opened something.

Mold spores ? We have moisture issues with heavy rains but we also have dehumidifier in the basement. As suggested, keep everything well cleaned including the outside of all containers.change out airlock solutions every few weeks.

Good to hear. I dont have mold and i also run dehumidifier all year round. I only have one secondary going but i have big plans.

Latest posts

Back