Bulk Aging a Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonant11

Reaction score
Hello all! I've done a couple wine kits without any extended bulk aging, but I'm bulk aging my first batch now. Since the kit recipe doesn't account for this, I believe I will need to buy K-meta to add when I rack it. And does racking it every 2 months seem reasonable? Also, should I still plan on adding the provided clearing agents before I bottle? I'll probably only age it for 6 months or so, and have the rest of it age in the bottle.

Thanks!

Here's what I do when I bulk age, which is almost always. After fermentation completes, add 1/4 tsp of KMeta to 5 (or 6) gallons of wine, make certain you are topped off up into the neck of the carboy. Rack at 3 months, Add 1/4 tsp of kmeta, rack at 3 months add 1/4 tsp of kmeta. Add clearing Agents, wait a week or so for clearing to happen (can be longer) If any light lees on bottom of carboy rack, then bottle.

If there is a flavoring pack to be added, instead of just the Kmeta I add the included Kmeta and Potassium Sorbate, then the flavoring pack, then clearing agents.

I do similar to Craig, although I add the clearing agents earlier in the process, right after degassing, then rack off the lees 1 to 3 weeks later. Unless there is significant sediment, I do not rack again until bottling, although I add K-meta every 3 months.

This is functionally the same as Craig's process, just a difference in the timing. The important thing is adding K-meta every 3 months, as that protects the wine.

And for a third view, I have racked out of primary and aged 5 to 6 months without racking. I do rack off the lees before or when I bottle. I add k eta when I rack from primary and every 2 1/2 to 3 months. I usually don’t use clearing agents on a kit. I sometimes use the clearing agents on a fruit wine.

I do similar to Craig, although I add the clearing agents earlier in the process, right after degassing, then rack off the lees 1 to 3 weeks later. Unless there is significant sediment, I do not rack again until bottling, although I add K-meta every 3 months.

This is functionally the same as Craig's process, just a difference in the timing. The important thing is adding K-meta every 3 months, as that protects the wine.
If you bottle at the end of one of those 3 months periods do you add the K-meta just before bottling?

If you bottle at the end of one of those 3 months periods do you add the K-meta just before bottling?
I think you're asking if I add K-meta because it's a 3 month mark, and again because I'm bottling. If so, then no, I just add K-meta once.

K-meta is added to protect the wine, and is added at points where such protection is necessary. This includes racking (exposed to air), at bottling (last dose the wine will receive for potentially years of bottling), and periodically during bulk aging (free SO2 gets used up and needs to be renewed).

If I rack after 6 months and immediately bottle (all 3 of the above conditions), I add only 1 dose of K-meta.

Please note that most time frames in winemaking have a lot of wiggle room in them. If the carboy is undisturbed (not opened), the level of liquid in the airlock is maintained (or using vented bungs, and the carboy is protected (mostly) from light, letting it go longer before adding K-meta is fine. If you'll be unable to work on the wine at a 3 month interval, adding more K-meta at 2.5 months is fine.

OTOH, I'm opening barrels every 4 to 6 weeks to top them up, so adding K-meta more frequently may make sense.

Hello everybody, today I started two WineExpert kits. One a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon and the other an Italian Sangiovese with the intention of making a Super Tuscan. Need some suggestions here, should I blend them after AF or wait until bottling time? I'm also planning to bulk age. What is the maximum bulk aging for a wine kit? TIA.
BTW, happy new year to all.

Hello everybody, today I started two WineExpert kits. One a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon and the other an Italian Sangiovese with the intention of making a Super Tuscan. Need some suggestions here, should I blend them after AF or wait until bottling time? I'm also planning to bulk age. What is the maximum bulk aging for a wine kit? TIA.
Happy new year!

When to blend? There's no perfect time, it all depends on what you want. The easiest is a "field blend", which is what I did to produce a "Rhone" blend from 3 kits (Syrah, Petite Sirah, Merlot). Ferment together or separately, it doesn't matter, then blend 'em. You just have to be comfortable with winging it.

If you're doing selective blending? I'd ferment and bulk age separately, aging 6 to 12 months. Start with 5 blends (30/70, 40/60, 50/50, 60/40, 70/30) and blind taste.

How long to bulk age? For carboys, IME more than a year isn't getting you anything. If it was in a barrel, I'd say for kits, 9-18 months. I barrel age ~11 months, allowing for a month to ferment and basic clearing, the bottling in time for the next year's wine to go into the barrel.

Happy new year!

When to blend? There's no perfect time, it all depends on what you want. The easiest is a "field blend", which is what I did to produce a "Rhone" blend from 3 kits (Syrah, Petite Sirah, Merlot). Ferment together or separately, it doesn't matter, then blend 'em. You just have to be comfortable with winging it.

If you're doing selective blending? I'd ferment and bulk age separately, aging 6 to 12 months. Start with 5 blends (30/70, 40/60, 50/50, 60/40, 70/30) and blind taste.

How long to bulk age? For carboys, IME more than a year isn't getting you anything. If it was in a barrel, I'd say for kits, 9-18 months. I barrel age ~11 months, allowing for a month to ferment and basic clearing, the bottling in time for the next year's wine to go into the barrel.

Happy new year!

“How long to bulk age? For carboys, IME more than a year isn't getting you anything.”

I have been bulk aging in carboys anywhere from 10-15 months. Are you saying I’m wasting my time and should just bottle after six months in glass?

10-15 months is what I do, I don’t use fining agents, only recently started trying some.

At 6 months, no fining agents, I’ve never had a red be ready to bottle. Only a few whites. If you use fining agents then you may find that your wine is crystal clear. If it is, then bottle it.

I have been bulk aging in carboys anywhere from 10-15 months. Are you saying I’m wasting my time and should just bottle after six months in glass?
Nope.

Winemaking is an art, not a science. If it was science, we could make calculations and produce a great wine every time. But we can't -- every wine is different and we (winemakers) must make judgment calls based on each unique situation.

IME wines go through a lot of chemical changes in the first 4 to 12 months. Lighter wines (less body, acid, sugar, tannin, etc.) complete major changes sooner as there's less "stuff" to go through changes. Heavy reds need more time in bulk, as the changes take longer to progress. Note that I didn't say "complete", because no wine ever completes changes. Wine changes continually until it passes drinkability (in human opinion).

Giving wine time to "mature", e.g., complete major changes, prior to bottling is a good idea. I've proved to my own satisfaction that bottling early produces unacceptable bottle variance (in plain English, some bottles were crap).

Beyond a year old, most wines are ready to bottle. There is no advantage in further bulk aging in a neutral container. Sediment has dropped, the wine is clear, and aging in smaller volumes produces quicker results.

Barrel aging is different. The non-neutral nature of the container makes a difference. My barrels are neutral (no remaining oak character), but the evaporation effect (10% volume reduction per year) produces a tremendous difference in the wine.

Based upon my experience, there is no significant difference between 11 and 15 months in a carboy. However, if you're happy with your results, keep doing what you' re doing.

Latest posts

Back