Bulk Aging a Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Resonant11

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all! I've done a couple wine kits without any extended bulk aging, but I'm bulk aging my first batch now. Since the kit recipe doesn't account for this, I believe I will need to buy K-meta to add when I rack it. And does racking it every 2 months seem reasonable? Also, should I still plan on adding the provided clearing agents before I bottle? I'll probably only age it for 6 months or so, and have the rest of it age in the bottle.

Thanks!

Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
Here's what I do when I bulk age, which is almost always. After fermentation completes, add 1/4 tsp of KMeta to 5 (or 6) gallons of wine, make certain you are topped off up into the neck of the carboy. Rack at 3 months, Add 1/4 tsp of kmeta, rack at 3 months add 1/4 tsp of kmeta. Add clearing Agents, wait a week or so for clearing to happen (can be longer) If any light lees on bottom of carboy rack, then bottle.

If there is a flavoring pack to be added, instead of just the Kmeta I add the included Kmeta and Potassium Sorbate, then the flavoring pack, then clearing agents.

Reaction score
I do similar to Craig, although I add the clearing agents earlier in the process, right after degassing, then rack off the lees 1 to 3 weeks later. Unless there is significant sediment, I do not rack again until bottling, although I add K-meta every 3 months.

This is functionally the same as Craig's process, just a difference in the timing. The important thing is adding K-meta every 3 months, as that protects the wine.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
And for a third view, I have racked out of primary and aged 5 to 6 months without racking. I do rack off the lees before or when I bottle. I add k eta when I rack from primary and every 2 1/2 to 3 months. I usually don’t use clearing agents on a kit. I sometimes use the clearing agents on a fruit wine.

Latest posts