WineXpert Bulk Ageing WE Eclispe Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumby

Wine improves with age, I improve with wine
Reaction score
I just cleared and re racked a WE Eclipse Zinfandel kit. Rather then bottle it right away per the instructions I want to bulk age it for about 6 months in a plastic(BetterBottle) carboy. During the last racking I added a 1/4 tsp. of metabisulphite powder per the instructions. Is there anything else I need to do before putting the wine up? How often should I re rack in a 6 month period? Also thoughts on liquid for the air lock? In the past I always used my cleaning solution. I read some people use vodka.

Last edited:
I use my sanitizing sulfite mix, if it gets into the wine, no harm. Cleaning solution, taste it, if it tastes like soap, I wouldn't want it in my wine.

I do 6 months with all my wine kits. A quick check that the airlock is filled about every 2 weeks and don't touch it until the 6 months are up. Rack into a bottling bucket to make sure any settled lees don't find their way into your bottles.

I use my sanitizing sulfite mix, if it gets into the wine, no harm. Cleaning solution, taste it, if it tastes like soap, I wouldn't want it in my wine.

I do 6 months with all my wine kits. A quick check that the airlock is filled about every 2 weeks and don't touch it until the 6 months are up. Rack into a bottling bucket to make sure any settled lees don't find their way into your bottles.

I use a sulfite cleaning solution too and that's usually what I use in my airlocks. I didn't know if there was any advantages/disadvantages to using other liquids in my airlocks. Is 6 months sufficient time for the wine to degas itself?

I may have missed it but make sure you are topped off as well. You don't want a lot of oxygen contact with your wine.

Degasing time depends on the temperature but 6 months should be enough for most conditions.

Howdy Jumby,

6 months is a good time to shoot for. As to airlocks, I've gone to a new method, using silicone bungs that burp. When you go to bulk, active fermentation is over, so you won't have lots of pressure to release. By using the bung, you don't have to worry about checking the liquid levels of your airlock.

The bung is drilled with a half dozen or so holes 1/8 in diameter, with a circular slicone flap permanently mounted on the top of the bung. In that manner it is a one way valve, CO2 that is coming out of solution can get out, air can't get in.

Best, Fran

Any thoughts on using a plastic carboy for ageing?

Thanks for the replies and tips!

Howdy Jumby,

6 months is a good time to shoot for. As to airlocks, I've gone to a new method, using silicone bungs that burp. When you go to bulk, active fermentation is over, so you won't have lots of pressure to release. By using the bung, you don't have to worry about checking the liquid levels of your airlock.

The bung is drilled with a half dozen or so holes 1/8 in diameter, with a circular slicone flap permanently mounted on the top of the bung. In that manner it is a one way valve, CO2 that is coming out of solution can get out, air can't get in.

Best, Fran

Where can you get these?

I have been bulk aging my wine for 2 years. Now that is a long long time, but I want to achieve a smoother, full bodied taste. I would like to swap a bottle of my soon to be bottled Eclipse OV Zinn for a 6 month old bottle to compare. Any one interested, please let me know.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Ron

Latest posts

Back