Bulk ageing to bottling question...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
I made a strawberry port wine and since the last racking have been bulk aging it for the past 4 months.

I was suppose to bottle it at the 90 day mark as the recipe said to but I got sent on a mission in the military. I know with k-meta every 3 months you are suppose to rerack it and add more to keep the bacteria growth down but I could not do that.

There was a little white film around the edge of the carboy but not on top when I left, figured it was sugar deposits from others previous posts. Now there is a little bit of film on the top but the carboy stoppers are still clean and nothing is in them.

I take it my choices are to rerack with k-meta and let sit for another month or so and then bottle, or to rack it right now...

Wondering what you all would do? Do not want to bottle it if the metabisulfite is so low that could have problems and am patient and fine with bulk aging a little bit to let it work again...

1st I would "Taste" it.
Then rack and add meta, wait a month or so and see if any more settling then bottle. Aging longer will not hurt either

Back