Bulk ageing caps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbee

Reaction score
When you guys and dolls are bulk ageing your carboys do any of you put on solid caps or corks or do you all still use plugs with airlocks? Obviously it has to be stable and no longer outgassing. I have several solid caps and a limited number of airstops. I also would not have to worry about my fluid evaporating out of the airlocks. On a side note, I was using brandy in my airlocks when I was baking in my Estufa. It turned to a very thick syrup that was very tough getting dissolve and cleaned up. And it left a stain on the inside of the lock.
Brad

I use bung & air lock with water in it, and check it about once a week.

Steve

Steve

How do you get yourself to wait a week? I have to check mine twice a day or I don't feel complete! :D

How do you get yourself to wait a week? I have to check mine twice a day or I don't feel complete! :D

I've been making wine over 10 years, and ran an FoP (up to 100 batches on the go at a time) for 6 years. I guess some of the excitement has worn off.

Steve

Steve

If you have a basement or a closet put it there.
"Out of Sight Out of Mind"
Bet you are new to winemaking.
Like Steve said once you have a few hundred batches under your belt you dont have to look. LOL !
Start to make "extra" that way you dont have to rush to bottle.

Latest posts

Back