RJ Spagnols Bulk age in Freezer???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilChief

Junior
Reaction score
Anyone have experience bulk and bottle aging in a Freezer operated by a temp controlled module set at 55? I would love to use my closet under my stair case but unfortunately I live in Texas and it would be a battle during the summer to keep a consistent temp. I plan on bulk aging for 4 months and then transferring to bottle to continue to age.

Another quick question. Should I filter the wine before I bulk age or after 4 months of bulk aging when I transfer to bottles?

Thanks!

IMG_2087.jpg

I don’t see any problem aging in that freezer since you don’t have to worry about humidity until bottling. Can’t speak to filtering, I have use clarifies in the past and am now going for bulk again until it’s completely clear.

You might think about dropping that freezer down to 30F for a month to aid in clarifying.

I don’t see any problem aging in that freezer since you don’t have to worry about humidity until bottling. Can’t speak to filtering, I have use clarifies in the past and am now going for bulk again until it’s completely clear.

You might think about dropping that freezer down to 30F for a month to aid in clarifying.

Awesome, great info to help me clarify. Do you rack again after aging, right before bottling? After consideration, it seems that filtering slightly effects the final products taste, so I've decided to let it clarify with age.

The only concern I would have is if your fridge can take that many hard power cycles. If you are going to filter, do so as the last step before bottling. Age does a pretty good job by itself .

The only concern I would have is if your fridge can take that many hard power cycles. If you are going to filter, do so as the last step before bottling. Age does a pretty good job by itself .

My only option is installing a small cooling unit in a spare bedroom closet or beneath my staircase in a small closet. We plan on buying a new home soon, so I have to sit on my hands as of now for any permanent projects. The only battle with the closet is, I have a problem getting my home cooled during the Tx summer heat and I have no experience cooling a closet to 55 degrees during those times. I currently have 4 kits started, so I will need the space eventually.

Anyone have experience bulk and bottle aging in a Freezer operated by a temp controlled module set at 55?

No experience. I can't imagine why it would be a problem.

Another quick question. Should I filter the wine before I bulk age or after 4 months of bulk aging when I transfer to bottles?

Filter towards the end. Filtering should only be done on wine that is already clear. Last step before bottling.

I think there are some HVAC experts on the forum, but I think the biggest issue, as I understand, is if you cycle the power off than back on in a short period of time. Since you could be cutting the power off in the cycle when the unit is fully pressurized, you wouldn't want to restart it until the pressure has equalize, which it will do. it is probably no different than the window AC unit I use to cool my wine box. I run it between 65-69 degrees ambient. In the bottle the change in temperature is <1 degree and even less than that in the carboy and barrel.

I think there are some HVAC experts on the forum, but I think the biggest issue, as I understand, is if you cycle the power off than back on in a short period of time. Since you could be cutting the power off in the cycle when the unit is fully pressurized, you wouldn't want to restart it until the pressure has equalize, which it will do. it is probably no different than the window AC unit I use to cool my wine box. I run it between 65-69 degrees ambient. In the bottle the change in temperature is <1 degree and even less than that in the carboy and barrel.

I have been using a chest freezer and temp controller to ferment beers for about 8 years now anywhere between 50-70F depending on the beer and have had no problems. I don’t see why this standup freezer would be much different other than loosing cold air faster when opening vs the chest type.

Awesome, great info to help me clarify. Do you rack again after aging, right before bottling? After consideration, it seems that filtering slightly effects the final products taste, so I've decided to let it clarify with age.

I rack about every 3 months and plan to just monitor the level of sediment to know when I feel comfortable bottling. I’ve had crystal clear results with the clarifiers but won’t lose any sleep if there is slight sediment with just long term bulk aging.

I have been using a chest freezer and temp controller to ferment beers for about 8 years now anywhere between 50-70F depending on the beer and have had no problems. I don’t see why this standup freezer would be much different other than loosing cold air faster when opening vs the chest type.

The temperature control module I have the freezer pluged into has a compressor delay built into it. I believe it keeps the compressor from shutting off based off the time you input into the module, but I'm not sure yet.

The temperature control module I have the freezer pluged into has a compressor delay built into it. I believe it keeps the compressor from shutting off based off the time you input into the module, but I'm not sure yet.

Ah, I would be willing to bet that the delay is in the restart after shut down, for the reason I mentioned above.

Its an anti-short cycle delay for the compressor to give it time to equalize pressures, almost all compressors whether in your fridge/freezer, home ac, or 500 ton chiller have delays built in for the compressor protection, typical small home compressor delays is 5 min

Latest posts

Back