Builling a wine cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secomeau

Junior
Reaction score
ok guys.. im building a wine cellar in my basement and i have a couples of questions.

221566_25_full.jpg

from this picture...the red wall is the wall against the house fondation witch has been sprayed and a 2x4 wall with waper barier and sheetrock, so i did not touch that one. The black wall is a 2x4 wall with sheetrock on the outside of the cellar. the blue wall is a 2x4 wall that supports the staircase with sheetrock on the outside. and finaly the green wall is a 2x4 wall with a door opening with nothinng on it so far...

so i know i have to insulate all 4 walls and put vapor barier on the outsite but i my case i cant really do that. I would have to put it in the inside. theres only the green wall that has nothing on it that i could put it on the outside. So what do you guys think. Should i put the vapor barier on the inside of wall red, black and blue and then on the outside for the green wall or all 4 walls on the inside?

the pic didn't come through so it is kind of hard to follow your note, but I kind of get your idea. First, do you even have a moisture problem? Are you concerned with controlling your humidity levels for your wine cellar? There is another post out there for the perfect temp/humidity levels for wine cellars. I bought a radio shack meter and found that the levels were perfect year around, so I abandoned the idea of making an actual climate controlled room. You may be in the same boat.

the pic didn't come through so it is kind of hard to follow your note, but I kind of get your idea. First, do you even have a moisture problem? Are you concerned with controlling your humidity levels for your wine cellar? There is another post out there for the perfect temp/humidity levels for wine cellars. I bought a radio shack meter and found that the levels were perfect year around, so I abandoned the idea of making an actual climate controlled room. You may be in the same boat.

well my temps is about 19 degre celcius and humidity is about 25%.. so yes humidity control is a concern

my basement is 65 degrees year round with 25-45% humidity and this was fine per the other post I mentioned, so I don' think yours sounds at all bad.

Don't put wine against the wall that supports the staircase. Wine should be stored in a cool, humid, vibration-free area. Lots of vibrations in the wall supporting the staircase.

Steve

I too have pretty darn good conditions in my basement as its mostly subtereanean and have insulated the rest of the walls with roll out and Tuff R sheeting. I think some people have pretty good conditions and still go overboard because they can but most of the time if you are in a dry cellar then your way ahead of most people and dont have to go all out unless you are going to be storing 1945 Bordeaux's.

Back