Building size?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qdolph

Junior
Reaction score
I will be putting in a new garage this spring and I am wondering how much space will I need to devote to a wine making area. I know I will need it to be separate from the rest of it but I don't know how much space I will need. Any idea's and photo's of your wine world would be appreciated.

BIGGER is better.

Think about the amount you have been doing and the space you needed and then triple that AND Don't neglect storage of empty containers and wine racks as well and equipment aging containers space. I have a 10 x 12 office and thinking about that as a space - that would barely be enough my working area to run the fermentations, wash, prepare and bottle.

Keep in mind that there are at least two different temperature needs for making wine.
Fermentation temps are generally best in the range from 60 (bare minimum) to 75 (80 is perhaps only good or big reds)
Aging and Storage at 55-60 is best.

So you might want to divide your area

I converted 2/3 of my boat garage to a wine room. Left the other third for storage of yard equipment. The room is 12 X 18. Although it is a nice size. I should have taken all the space for wine room and gotten a detached building for yard equipment. I would go at least 300 to 350 sq. Ft.

Here’s the plans I’ve had developed for my dedicated wine space. I’ll be providing a vapor barrier between the garage and the wine space. We break ground soon...

Attachments

• ELEVATION A1 - 1 copy.pdf
    121.5 KB · Views: 28
  • BASEMENT FLR A6 - 2.pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 13
  • UPPER FLR A4 - 2.pdf
    64.7 KB · Views: 7
  • MAIN FLR A2 - 2.pdf
    90.5 KB · Views: 17
I will be putting in a new garage this spring and I am wondering how much space will I need to devote to a wine making area. I know I will need it to be separate from the rest of it but I don't know how much space I will need. Any idea's and photo's of your wine world would be appreciated.
How much space will you need for a wine room.........the answer is all of it you need all the space......park the car in the street keep the boat at the marina convince the wife Power tools look good displayed in the living room and just get throw out them boxes with all your stuff from collage your never guna use those casset tapes and the x-ray glasses never worked anyways......just split the whole garage in 2 sections one to work/fermenting one for agging/storage

Without room for storage, you don't actually need much space. I operate in an area in my workshop that's about 10' x 6', although I wouldn't recommend going that small if you have a choice. 12' x 12' would give you a good area with some maneuvering room. But that's just one opinion. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions!

Latest posts

Back