Building Hobby Vintner Software

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theTheme

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been kicking around the idea of building some purpose built software to consolidate my wine workflow which is at the moment scattered over a lot of different places (Evernote, Trello, Word docs, Google Drive, random calculators online...) and I thought I would try to get some feedback from the community here.

Basically, what I'd like to do is try to compile a list of the tools that people are currently using, what the use case for each is and what kind of features would be helpful for your particular workflow. At the moment, I'm thinking of a kind of one stop dashboard where you can save info on your current batches, look up references and calculators, go back through your batch history and maybe even plug into connected devices like the Raspberry pi for real time monitoring. For a stripped down MVP it would be a simple dashboard where you could enter and keep track of what you have in process and what's finished. All this, of course, is open to change based on feedback.

If you are more technically inclined, I'd also very much be interested in working with contributors. I develop in Rails for my other projects so I'd like to stick with that. I have also done projects with the Rails API feeding a React front end, but I think that might be overkill for such a project (however I really like the working with Rails API server so if you are a front-end all star we could make a good team with this setup). My intention is to develop and release as open source so anyone can clone and run their own copy if they want to and host it for people who would rather just run the dashboard.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I only made a small googling effort to see if such software already exists so if someone knows of something that's already out there, please let me know.

Last edited:
Currently, I track my progress with batches in Google Sheets. This way I have access to the sheets anywhere I'm at and even on my phone.

Then I use FermCalc app to deal with the math portion.

Currently, I track my progress with batches in Google Sheets.

What columns do you track on your sheet? Is there anything that you would track, but don't because it's too much trouble or some other reason?

What columns do you track on your sheet? Is there anything that you would track, but don't because it's too much trouble or some other reason?

Really, I just track what I do and the times I do it. This way if I end up with something really great (or really bad) I have a record of what I did and can use those records to guide what I do next time.

Those who jot down their winemaking history are doomed to repeat when it turns out great!

Latest posts

Back