Buds/canes growing from graft point

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sremick

Reaction score
So I got my vines planted a few weeks ago. Everything is growing, so that's a good sign... however, many of the vines have canes/buds now growing from the graft point as opposed to the buds I preserved above the graft (usually about 3) when I trimmed at the time of planting. So I'm left wondering if these canes would produce the grafted varietal, or the root stock varietal. What should I do?

My goal is to have two main trunks ultimately, like this:
images
IMG_6326.JPG IMG_6325.JPG IMG_6324.JPG IMG_6322.JPG

Hey there! The Short answer is that shoots above the graft will be the selected variety. Shoots from below the graft will be the same as the rootstock (like 101-14 or 1103P).

In looking at your pictures I'm not able to identify a graft union. I've only handled grafted Vidal Blanc, and the graft unions were pretty obvious. Maybe I just don't have the eye for it. So for the shoots you're showing here it's hard to say. If you're confident that the shoots are from below the graft, I would remove them to ensure that only the variety you want grows.

I recall from your earlier thread you've planted Marquette and Petite Pearl. I am not sure you can even buy grafted Petite Pearl, and I wonder what the advantage of doing so would be. I think the same goes for Marquette. All of the Minnesota Hybrids I have are own-rooted. Are you confident that the vines you've ordered are grafted and not own-rooted? If they are own-rooted, you don't have to worry. All shoots will be the variety you've ordered.

In looking at your pictures I'm not able to identify a graft union.

In each photo you can see the top cut end of the root stock (brown). Then in each you see a brown cane coming off at an angle. That's the grafted variety. You'll see in the photos that right where those two meet is where a lot are spawning new growth. Since it's on the seam of the graft, I don't know if that's going to be the grafted variety or the root stock. Does that count as "above" or "below"?

One possible option I suppose would be to only let 1 cane that is 100% above the graft grow, then cut it back and then next season let 2 canes come off from that and become the trunk. But that'll set me back another year. :( The other problem is there are some vines where every single bud/cane growing is at the seam, so I don't have a shoot in those cases I can be 100% confident about.

I recall from your earlier thread you've planted Marquette and Petite Pearl. I am not sure you can even buy grafted Petite Pearl

I've emailed NE Vine supply and ask for confirmation on this.

Well, good news! According to them, none of their vines are grafted. They only looked that way. So I'm glad to be wrong in this instance. :)

Excellent news. Your vines are moving along then. I got my Petite Pearl from NE Vine Supply and they're in their 3rd leaf this year. I've been happy with them. Good luck and fair weather to you this growing season!

Latest posts

Back