• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Budget wine maker in need of bottles (Seattle)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitterbad

Reaction score
Give me your used bottles! I live in the fremont area. Any sizes will do, any shape, any color, but if you have those short 375ml ones I'd especially love those. I don't have a car but I can come and pick up what I can and haul it back on the bus. Don't worry about cleaning them. I'll even pay for them if you want, a dollar per bottle.

you can always ask your freinds to save or visit local recycling center if you have one in addition to local wineries

My first big haul of used wine bottles was from a white-linen restaurant on one of their wine dinner nights. Must've gone home with 5 or 6 cases of bottles (750ml Bordeaux style). Other suggestions: Check craigslist and FB marketplace. I scored about 19 cases from a guy who was getting out of wine making and was giving them away. New bottles cost between $12 and $20 a case. Not the best. But then again, you don't have to scrub labels and deal with the moldy remnants of what used to be in an old bottle.

I go to a local winery at the end of a weekend day, and leave with a minimum of 2 cases of bottles. I wash with blue Dawn and a bottle brush, then soak in OxyClean in hot water to cleanse and help remove labels. Rinse thoroughly, quick blast with StarSan and let them dry. I store upside down with a paper towel rubberbanded over the top of the bottle. I've saved a fortune - almost feel guilty for getting them for free, but enjoy keeping them out of a landfill.

Asked a winery, a recycling center, a few restaurants, two breweries, none had any, and eventually the meadery I asked had some for me. Phew.

I go to a local winery at the end of a weekend day, and leave with a minimum of 2 cases of bottles. I wash with blue Dawn and a bottle brush, then soak in OxyClean in hot water to cleanse and help remove labels. Rinse thoroughly, quick blast with StarSan and let them dry. I store upside down with a paper towel rubberbanded over the top of the bottle. I've saved a fortune - almost feel guilty for getting them for free, but enjoy keeping them out of a landfill.
When I lived in a city there were fine restaurants on every corner. I would go out on a recycling night and pick up dozens of bottles with every trip. It got to the point where I would only take only the style bottle that I preferred.

Asked a winery, a recycling center, a few restaurants, two breweries, none had any, and eventually the meadery I asked had some for me. Phew.
Asking once is an introduction, not a friendship. Go back and ask again.

Helps to take a bottle or two of your wine. Make a deal with the chef. They're easy to talk to and usually the person most likely to understand your wine.

Latest posts

Back