Bucket size and the weight of grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artooks

Reaction score
Hi,

Everyone, as I am just starting, I am trying to understand how much grapes is needed lets say for a 8 Gallon fermentation bucket ?
As far as I understand headspace is important should I only use 3/4 of the bucket to be on the safe side ? to this means I can top it up up to 6 gallons,
bu to fill 6 gallons how much grape do I need, I am trying to work out the weight per gallon ? Is the headspace of 3/4 sufficiant ? and finally from 6 gallons of must how much wine in gallons can be obtained ?

Last edited:
Hi,

Everyone, as I am just starting, I am trying to understand how much grapes is needed lets say for a 8 Gallon fermentation bucket ?
As far as I understand headspace is important should I only use 3/4 of the bucket to be on the safe side ? to this means I can top it up up to 6 gallons,
bu to fill 6 gallons how much grape do I need, I am trying to work out the weight per gallon ? Is the headspace of 3/4 sufficiant ? and finally from 6 gallons of must how much wine in gallons can be obtained ?
Three lugs of grapes (36 pounds each) will give you 9 - 10 gallons of must, and yield 6 - 7 gallons of finished wine. It’s not an exact science, no grape is the same, and vary by varietal, region, seasonal conditions, etc., but this will keep you safe.

Adding to @Johnd's reply, as a ballpark plan on two 36 lb lugs (72 lbs) grapes for a 7.9 gallon primary fermenter. Always err on the side of caution when planning primary fermentation space, so 3/4 full is the most you want to go. Nine batches may just puff up the cap just a bit as CO2 buoys the fruit solids, while #10 will go nuts and overflow the fermenter. [I'm sure there is a biological reason for this, but I just assume the worst and allow for space.]

If you're marking larger batches, consider purchasing Rubbermaid Brute trash cans, which are food grade plastic.

I have 32 gallon Brutes, which are plenty big enough for 6 or possibly 8 lugs. However, I limit batches to 4 or 5 lugs, as that's our limit to what can be safely moved.

BTW, if you're planning larger batches, get a pump. Your back will thank you!

Hi,

You’re right in that an 8 gallon bucket should only be filled up to the 6 gallon mark. 6 gallons of must should weigh 60 lbs. The amount of wine you get from 6 gallons of must depends on the berry size, but varietals can generally be classified by size. So a very small berry like petite sirah will only yield 3.9 gallons after initial press, and 3.4 gallons when finished. While a medium sized berry like Merlot will yield 4.9G after press and 4.7G when finished. Small berry’s like Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, etc will yield 4.6G after press and 4.3G when finished.

Latest posts

Back