bubbles!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marquettematt

Reaction score
Hi all,

This isn't my first time with fermenting but it is my first time with a complete set-up. I added sulfite and my MLF bacteria (I kept the sulfite low to not interfere with MLF) and now I've got some major bubbling in the airlock. Is it the sulfite or bacteria?
Thank you

Well I am not that experienced in MLF but sulfite or bacteria does not cause bubbling. Have you tested to see if MLF has been completed yet?

Last edited:
How much sulfite did you add and at what stage in the process? I ask because sulfite can interfere with mlf if the amount exceeds the tolerance of the mlb. If it was at crush it may be okay.

One of the byproducts of mlf is co2. The bubbles tend to be very small and mine will form a ring around the top of the carboy.

I added both the bacteria and sulfite today. I didn't add any sulfite at alcoholic fermentation. I tried to keep the sulfite dose minimal (1/16 tsp for 5 gal.) There's some bubbles at the top of the juice that weren't there when I transferred the wine into the carboy. I used Wyeast 4007. It started bubbling within hours.

If the bubbles are large it's more than likely degassing or finishing up alcoholic fermentation. MLF bubbles are tiny pin prick sized bubbles that are pretty hard to see with the naked eye. You should not have added any sulfite even a small amount if your planning on adding MLB to the wine.

If the bubbles are large it's more than likely degassing or finishing up alcoholic fermentation. MLF bubbles are tiny pin prick sized bubbles that are pretty hard to see with the naked eye. You should not have added any sulfite even a small amount if your planning on adding MLB to the wine.

It could be finishing fermentation. It was off-dry when I transferred it to the carboy. I hope that the sulfite won't mess with the bacteria but if it does do you think it'll be a full or partial kill of the bacteria?

That depends on a whole bunch of factors. How much SO2 you added, the pH of the wine, ABV of the wine, MLB strain added, and how much MLB you added. MLB tend to be finicky.

Nice pic. Chardonnay is my next project. I think I'm going to split it up between sweet and dry.

Nice. That's the dry half I'm going for. Thoughts on yeast? I'm going to use EC-1118 for the sweet but dry is still up in the air. Right now I'm thinking 71b

I used D47. Here is an excerpt from winemaker magazine that mentioned both: "ICV D47, another French isolate, resulted in greater complexity with both fruity and buttery aromas so typical of this type of wine. As for the EC 1118, a Champagne isolate used in different varietals, it was defined with a mixture of tropical fruit, vanilla and butter."

I haven't noticed hardly any tropical notes with ec1118. Maybe there's difference between varietals. My first ferm was Marquette with ec-1118. I thought it was rather complex with some herbaceous tones but I attribute it to uneven ripening. When I bought the chard juice, Presque isle recommended cy3079. Hmmm I think I need to do a little more research.

Latest posts

Back