BSG brand gelatin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donatelo

Reaction score
Just for fun, I dumped a little Lavlin yeast in a 96 oz bottle of Welches grape juice. It's been working for almost a week. I ground up a campden tablet and put that in there two days ago. The must is now turned a cloudy burgundy color. Do you think it will clear on its own? Should I add about .3 grams of BSG gelatin? If so when?

Added one tabled ground as a yeast and bacteria killer. I suppose that I misunderstood the purpose of the Campden tablets. SG is 1.012 . I believe that the SG was 1.100 at the start. What do I do now? Seems dumb of me , but I AM a newbie.

Last edited:
Let it sit and see what happens. If the campden didn't stop the yeast, let it go til it gets done fermenting. I would let it sit for a while even if you think it stopped the ferment as you might of just stunned the yeast with the campden. Arne.

Oh it hasn't stopped the fermentation. It is bubbling right along. I suppose that I need to get it off the top of my desk and into my wine closet, so I won't be messing with it. I'll move it and check on it next week sometime.
when should I add GELATIN?

Semper Fi, and thanks.

Wait til it gets done fermenting. If you have a hydrometer it will tell you when things are done. Should be under 1.000 s.g. for 3 days or more at the same specific gravity. Now let it sit for a week or two and then rack it off the gross lees. Now is the time to add your campden tabs. Let it sit some more, it will probably clear on its own or you can add the gelatin to maybe help it clear faster. If you get a solid layer of lees you can rack it off again, probably in a month or so. You can taste a little any time you like, gives you an idea of what is going on. Might want to add just a little sugar to the tastings, do not add sugar to the whole batch unless you stabalize it or it will probably take off and ferment again. Arne.

I sat it back in my wine closet along with my 6 gallon Chardonnay kit. I think it has finished working and SG is .999 . I'll wait until it gets a little lower SC. It's beginning to clear a little and the lees are forming on the bottom. Next week I may add .2 gr. Gelatin to it when I racket into another bottle. Then wait about a month to bottle it. Sure looks tempting.
This small batch of Welch's grape juice wine is merely to keep me away from the 6 galloon batch of Chardonnay.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Semper Fi, Friday is Marine Corps Birthday! Eat cake!

Latest posts

Back