Brown wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxsoneric34

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all

Trying my hand at white wine from fresh grapes picked, pressed and added campden tablet to it covered with towel for 24 hrs went to pitch yeast and it is brown like shoe polish brown lol do I need to pitch it? It's just 1 gal so not out alot! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Relax. Fresh white grapes brown very quickly. In the process they lock up much of the stuff needed for browning later, so it isn’t a bad thing. I don’t remember all the chemistry, but several references say it’s true.

Go ahead and pitch, keep it cool, I keep in in an air conditioned room at 70 ambient. As it ferments, the brown constituents should drop out and it will clear up. I do six whites a year, 600 lbs of grapes plus or minus. They all brown at pressing as they get lots of oxygen during crush and press. So far, they’ve all cleared up nicely.

Just like what Johny99 says, ours freaked us out the first time too. We picked then crushed and destemmed added kmeta it was bright green when we got home and pressed then it turned brown when it finished fermenting and we racked it you can tell it was going back to a straw color becoming a white wine.
I hope you tested the pH and TA to balance the wine and add tartaric acid if needed.
Learn and Enjoy the process.....

Latest posts

Back