Brown Suger Vs. Corn Suger

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.MAS

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Question , What is the best way to make red wine from juice, brown suger or corn suger ?

and

What is the difference and advantages between brown suger and corn suger ?

and

I want to make 15 wine from juice litershow much suger should i put in ?

Regards,
M

The problem with brown sugar is that it has a distinctive taste (of molasses) that I don't think goes well with red wine. Corn sugar is neutral tasting. So is regular table sugar, which ferments just fine.

As for how much: You should first choose how much alcohol you want. This tells you how much sugar content you want when you start your fermentation. (This can be measured in Brix or by the specific gravity.) Next find out how much sugar your juice has. Then you need to figure out how much sugar to add to your juice to raise the sugar content (i.e., the specific gravity) to the desired starating point.

These steps can be greatly aided by a website called Fermcalc: FermCalc

@Mr.MAS, do you have a hydrometer? That will measure the specific gravity of the juice, and from there you figure out how much sugar to add. If any you may need none.

I suggest you post your recipe (if you have one) for feedback. It's far easier to set you on a good path than it is to fix problems.

What is the difference and advantages between brown suger and corn suger ?
* brown sugar in the US is white sugar where we mix molasses back in to give flavor & color. On a red grape you probably won’t taste the molasses.
* corn sugar, dextrose as used in beer is fermentable and cost effective. Industry has high fructose corn syrup from corn, also fermentable and clean flavor but only cost effective by the tanker truck.

@Mr.MAS, do you have a hydrometer? That will measure the specific gravity of the juice, and from there you figure out how much sugar to add. If any you may need none.

I suggest you post your recipe (if you have one) for feedback. It's far easier to set you on a good path than it is to fix problems.

Hi Mr winmaker81

My description is

2 kg corn sugar or brown sugar
15 liter juice ( signature grab juice)
1 Red Star Premier Rouge
1 spoon win tannin ( maybe 10g )
1 spoon Yeast Nutrient ( maybe 10g )
1 spoon PECTIC ENZYME ( maybe 10g )

Attachments

• E6ED7289-3E10-402F-BAC6-42704E3E59E4.jpeg
    E6ED7289-3E10-402F-BAC6-42704E3E59E4.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
* brown sugar in the US is white sugar where we mix molasses back in to give flavor & color. On a red grape you probably won’t taste the molasses.
* corn sugar, dextrose as used in beer is fermentable and cost effective. Industry has high fructose corn syrup from corn, also fermentable and clean flavor but only cost effective by the tanker truck.
Thanks Mr Rice_Guy

Brown sugar is cheap this good point and corn sugar is very expensive

I bought one 50 pound bag at $80 but the shipping cost is $300 but I don't care about the price compared to the quality

Latest posts

Back