Brown Recluse Spider Bite??????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are quite a problem in Texas. They love to hide out in piles of clothes and in boots, even in bed sheets. A friend of mine took several months to completely heal. Said it was very painful also. http://www.brownreclusespider.org/

Update:
While coming home from the ER today to have it checked out, he was bitten twice more on the abdomen this time. The Triosh nurse there said there were no Brown Recluse here so it wasn't possible for it to be one of them. I guess she knows more than three doctors. The coats that came home are still in the car so he stopperd to the blue box store for lumber to get some bug bombs. When he moved to get out, it was under his shirt and bet him twice. They were already swollen and he was ready to pass out when he got here. My oldest son took him right back to the ER. I called there and informed the nurse that the doctors were treating it as a brown recluse and if they send someone to the vehicle they should be able to find it dead this time. I will let you know what happens later.

Don't rule out that some eggs hatched in the coat/car. Spiders have to be hit with spray directly to kill them. They do not pick up the poison from their feet like roaches and ants. The car should be vacuumed thoroughly and I would destroy the coats. Perhaps that would be a good job for the nurse. He is going to be one sore puppy for some time.

I have seen 3 or 4 such bites in my lifetime. I was raised in Texas and Oklahome.

Not good, but I'm glad he is getting treatment. He should be OK. Without treatment, if it is what you think, due to the presence of the venom, the area around the center can begin to die and rot. It will keep eating away until a huge hole, about 2 inches around will form. It can eventually cause great harm. It affects some people more than others. Not something to fool around with for sure.

definitely sounds like something not to take lightly....hope all goes well....

What makes you think we don't have them here?
I have seen more than one in my lifetime and have lived no place else

I would have to agree with Nubz, I am in northern IN, not far from MI and they are common around here. I have a lot of family in upstate NY around Buffalo and they have been spotted there as well.

They are not native to our area of NY, but obviously can come in with vehicles. Look up their native range and it only goes half way or so up through the country. Regardless, obviously there is at least one here now. I hope it or they died from the bug bomb.

Holy smokes Rich! I hope he's ok. Keep us posted. Maybe lightning doesn't strik twice but this sure as heck did. I bet you don't have any mountain lions in your area either!

Back when I was still in school, these spiders got so bad in Little Rock, Arkansas that they had to shut down school for a week or so, so they could get them out of the kid's lockers.

had one bite me on the top of my foot back about 7 or 8 years ago hurt so bad I couldn't walk on it for a couple days but it did just like you described swoll up real quick blistered then had the hole in center made my foot feel like it was gonna bust and fall off was like that for a couple months

Latest posts

Back