Brown marmorated stink bug

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, file this under weird... unless anyone can help me understand. We found a bug on the floor of our spare bedroom, which was very odd in itself. I knew I had seen its picture before, so I captured it and set about searching on the intertubes. It is, I am now sure, a brown marmorated stink bug.

Why was this on my bedroom floor? In February, in Wisconsin? What the heck?

I will admit that the last two days have been sunny and unseasonably warm, in the high 40s. So maybe the critter was roused from its wintry nap? And the intertubes say that this beast tries to get into your house in the winter for warmth.

Another wrinkle is that my wife just returned from SoCal recently. Could it have hitched a ride?

Weird!

Okay, file this under weird... unless anyone can help me understand. We found a bug on the floor of our spare bedroom, which was very odd in itself. I knew I had seen its picture before, so I captured it and set about searching on the intertubes. It is, I am now sure, a brown marmorated stink bug.

Why was this on my bedroom floor? In February, in Wisconsin? What the heck?

I will admit that the last two days have been sunny and unseasonably warm, in the high 40s. So maybe the critter was roused from its wintry nap? And the intertubes say that this beast tries to get into your house in the winter for warmth.

Another wrinkle is that my wife just returned from SoCal recently. Could it have hitched a ride?

Weird!
Funny! I'm in southeast Michigan, and the past couple days have been "warmish" (upper 3o's-lower 40's.) I found one of these, which I though was pretty darn early for "bug season." Then another! Don't know if they came in from outside, or were snoozing the winter away.

Well I am nowhere near you but last weekend I fired up the gas grill and was cooking some pork chops out on the patio and I looked down and saw the exact same thing.......

Now living in Stink Bug Heaven.

BMSB%20Brandon%20Woo%20photo.jpg

They love to winter behind the siding of your house....especially vinyl siding. They typically crawl inside through exterior vents such as bathroom fan or kitchen exhaust fan. We see one or two a month in the winter. Pretty much just gently shoo them onto a paper and release outside into the sub freezing temps...I don't think they live long once back out in the cold. Wait till you start dealing with them....$200-$300 per acre per week to spray pesticides to keep them out of your vineyard and you get to do it each week in September.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back