Bronco 44 Gal. White Round Trash Can (3-Pack) by Carlisle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used them so no experience here, but they are made of high density polyethylene and meet the same NSF specifications as the Brute cans. I wouldn't have a problem using them.

I haven't used them so no experience here, but they are made of high density polyethylene and meet the same NSF specifications as the Brute cans. I wouldn't have a problem using them.
Very good. Getting ready for my trip to California to get grapes from @NorCal, @CDrew and @4score.

Thank you @stickman and @sour_grapes for the direction. I’ll buy this week. Nice price too...

I use a Brute can as my primary fermentation vessel.

I have a couple Carlisle fermenters. No issues whatsoever. Just keep in mind the “white” brutes are actually colorless. The “white” Carlisles are not the same. They are dyed white.
Minor detail but still figured I’d mention it. Still completely safe to use.

Not contesting, but this surprised me. Do you have a pointer to where you came across this? (Again, I don't care too much, just wanting to learn.)
I shouldn’t say “brutes” specifically. I just meant that the typical “white” plastic products many seek out for winemaking aren’t actually white. The best ones (at least in my opinion) are the type that lack color dye all together. I have a couple funnels and buckets of this material. And I believe the brutes for sale on morewine.com are like that.

I don’t have any sources to cite other than my own eyes. The difference in the “White” plastics is clearly noticed. You know what I’m sayin. I’ll take some pics for context

(*Not that there’s anything wrong with the colored plastic. I use a big ugly yellow Carlisle with an orange lid! Hideous! But it’s all certified NSF.)

Not contesting, but this surprised me. Do you have a pointer to where you came across this? (Again, I don't care too much, just wanting to learn.)
Worked in rotational molding for a bit. The virgin or “natural” color of high density polyethylene is more off white. I assume Brute/Carlisle adds a white pigment to the natural powder to brighten the color.

Worked in rotational molding for a bit. The virgin or “natural” color of high density polyethylene is more off white. I assume Brute/Carlisle adds a white pigment to the natural powder to brighten the color.

Nice insight. thanks for chiming in. 👊 When looking at them side by side it’s very easy to determine which is natural and which had white dye added.

Brute white = white privilege

Cans of color are equally safe as white cans! 😁

The lids on the left are visibly a more white. (Easier to see in person but bare with me). Lids are less translucent then the plastic on the right. And the white is more “confident” I guess I’d say. The bucket and small funnel are thinner and able to see the difference moreso than the big funnel which is also lacking dye I believe. But that ones thick and could go either way.

none pictured are Carlisle brand however. The lids and cans (not pictured) were purchased at Restaurant Equippers. But I’m almost positive Carlisle’s whites are the same way. This post is probably hella confusing lol. My badAE78E9D1-527E-4848-9204-04693F66E09F.jpeg

The lids on the left are visibly a more white. (Easier to see in person but bare with me). Lids are less translucent then the plastic on the right. And the white is more “confident” I guess I’d say. The bucket and small funnel are thinner and able to see the difference moreso than the big funnel which is also lacking dye I believe. But that ones thick and could go either way.

none pictured are Carlisle brand however. The lids and cans (not pictured) were purchased at Restaurant Equippers. But I’m almost positive Carlisle’s whites are the same way. This post is probably hella confusing lol. My badView attachment 64109
Looks like bucket, small funnel, and large lid are non-dyed. Thickness won’t change the color much. We ran a lot of 3/8-1/2” wall thickness hydraulic tanks in hdpe and they still came out that off white/brown color. Unless the product is for show most customers opted out of coloring their parts to save money. The color pigment used is not cheap. Just be wary of any black plastic parts. Sometimes they are made of regrind or recycled plastic. Basically rejected parts get crushed back down to the fine powder form again, and typically make an inferior product vs natural resin. Never thought I’d chat about this on a wine making forum 😁

none pictured are Carlisle brand however. The lids and cans (not pictured) were purchased at Restaurant Equippers. But I’m almost positive Carlisle’s whites are the same way. This post is probably hella confusing lol. My badView attachment 64109

Gotcha, thanks!

BTW, I will not "bare with you," either online or in person. I'm not into that! 🤣

BTW, I will not "bare with you," either online or in person. I'm not into that! 🤣
Ahhh. You’re no fun!
It’s 2020 Paul. Anything goes! 🤣

@Ajmassa Where did you get that massive funnel? Skull Island? Seriously, I want one...

lol. No you don’t! I hate that thing. It’s too big and I rarely find any use for it anymore. We used to use for the demijohns before I got a pump. And the spout is too wide for use on carboys. I’ll only use it occasionally for things like cleaning the demijohns or prepping barrels.
my dad always used a funnel this size. It was metal and had a built in filter screen. But that thing got so old and ratty lookin that I replaced it with this one. Pretty sure I bought it at my original grape suppliers joint in South Philly

Ahhh. You’re no fun!
It’s 2020 Paul. Anything goes! 🤣

lol. No you don’t! I hate that thing. It’s too big and I rarely find any use for it anymore. We used to use for the demijohns before I got a pump. And the spout is too wide for use on carboys. I’ll only use it occasionally for things like cleaning the demijohns or prepping barrels.
my dad always used a funnel this size. It was metal and had a built in filter screen. But that thing got so old and ratty lookin that I replaced it with this one. Pretty sure I bought it at my original grape suppliers joint in South Philly
The ten man’s hat?

Back