Broken Corks/Bottle Tops

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not soak my corks (and no, I am not going to post that SNL skit).

I let them stand straight up for several days and then I lay the bottle down on their sides for long term storage.

I use all natural #9 corks and very rarely have a problem.
[/QUOTE

JohnT, you may have stated this earlier but what kind of corks do you use, natural, agglomerated, hybrid or synthetic?

JOHNT, please disregard the question. I re-read your post and see you use natural corks.

Generally it is not recommended to soak or wet the cork in any way. As indicated above, gassing in a container with SO2 is acceptable if it is believed that the corks really need to be sanitized. I personally only buy good corks and use them dry straight from the bag.
I've heard this from some also. I always make some meta water, put in a bowl, toss in about 20 or so, mix in the water, then grab and cork... works good for me.

You can get good results with "normal" corks, that is, you do not need to us Nomacorcs. Evidently, you (a) have purchased sub-par corks, and (b) your pretreatment is messing you up, too. You can just buy decent corks (I use 1+1 bi-discs, mainly) and don't wet them before inserting.
ditto, ive been using cork cork for 15+ years, only issues ive had is one batch crumbled when I pulled them out. Yes I keep the bottles full upside down in the box, or horizontal in the rack.

There's so much junk and knock-offs being sold on Amazon that you never know what you're getting from there. What you got may not be what you thought you ordered.
I gernally get my corks from same source if possible. This year our club went to get another batch and the were out of biz. Had to find another supplier. Wife said they corked much nicer than others... I think she improved her technique :) I will let you know how it turns out in few months

Latest posts

Back