Broke Hydrometer Cure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
Heard a little ping today while putting together a gallon of strawberry and looked down to about a 1/4" of the top of my hydrometer broken off. Glad I had another one. Question, can I just epoxy the end shut and it will be as good as new?

I've never heard of that being done but remember that even a small amount of additional weight added will affect the accuracy. I'd try super glue assuming that would be lighter than epoxy then compare the two in a beaker of water.

Nope i dont think so, the weight from the epoxy will throw it off as stated above...you are SOL man time for a new one!!

ive got 3 right now..one in use and two in reserve LOL! im a clutz!!

Short answer is yes, assuming the scale hasn't moved. Check it in water - should read 1.000 ( adjusted for temperature). However, considering the cost of a new one I think I would replace it.

YEP whatever Nikki said!

I hope you recovered the broken piece. If it ended up in the wine, thats on you.

Be careful. Go get a new one, lets mak another bach!

Dam everytime some one does one of these threads I break one myself and I have gone months without breaking one

I do have an extra one but everything for winemaking I have to import from the U.S. A $5 item turns into $10 and a $90 supplies order turns into $180. That's a good idea on the plastic one. I'll have to hunt for one online. I've not seen one advertised on anyone's site.

i'm a little like mike and nikki...you know, the "k" word, lol
after reading several of these happening...i bought a back up....next time u order, get 2

Yep, as soon as I think as you read this, it's a death sentence for your hydrometer.
I'm going to just get it over with and go break mine right now. It will be simpler than waiting!!:)

Maybe broken hydrometers should be one of the topics banned.
On a bike forum I visit it's religion, guns and politics.

DNW wants a refratometer...but even tho i have looked at the on line i dont get it..... maybe ill understand how it works when i break down n let him buy it LOL!

Wiz - your situation is understandable - again I would say that you can use your mended hydrometer. A very small change in weight from the glue would probably not influence your reading and even if it did, a change of 1 or 2 points (say 1.088 instead of 1.086 or 0.996 instead of 0.994) is not going to change anything since you are looking for relative readings rather than precise numbers.
You are well advised to get another though when it's convenient for you and then you can use the mended one as a backup.

Back