Broad Run Cellars Fall 2017 Crush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Well, setup/prep has not been without it's setbacks this year. Ten days ago, I had water (and a bit of sewage) coming up from the floor drain which was caused by a blocked sewer line under the front yard. That's been cleaned out, but we still have an issue with the pipe that will need to be dug up and replaced at some point. Of course, this drain is in the winery area, so everything was a mess down there, right as I was starting to get organized for grape arrival. I started putting things back in order last week. Sadly, I went down on Friday to get a bottle of wine only to find the water heater to be leaking. That is right next to the winery, so more stuff was moved out - including some things I had already put back. New water heater going in this morning, so I can start 'rebuilding' later today. I expect my first batch of grapes to arrive later this week. My plan is to take Friday off and head up to Harford to pick them up. I managed to find a HBS on the way that was willing to give me a pretty good deal on a new, manual C/D. Since my cost of C/D service has greatly increased this year, I decided to take the plunge. So I'll pick that up on my way home Friday. More to come - and hopefully no more plumbing issues.

Hey a lot of stuff to deal with but at least it happened before and not during your crush. Good luck.

It always seems like things pile up on us just when we need a little calm before the planned storm. Sorry about the challenges and you have my best wishes for success with the grapes and plumbing. Perhaps some playful names are in order for your wines this year, though with sewage backup I'm not sure all the puns would be palatable.

Sorry about all the plumbing problems, it's good to have them behind you. My question is how many grapes are you getting and how much wine do you expect to get from them?

Sorry about all the plumbing problems, it's good to have them behind you. My question is how many grapes are you getting and how much wine do you expect to get from them?

I'm getting 3 lugs (108lbs) each of Merlot, Malbec, Cabernet Franc and Pinot Noir. Should net 6-7 gallons of each after racking and the angels taking their share during barrel aging.

As everyone else said the worst is over. I'm so jealous but happy for you on the purchase. Enjoy the C/D I'll be using the milk crate again this year .

Question,

Would your grape supplier hold the grapes for a week?

If so that might be a good way to give yourself a little breathing room.

Question,

Would your grape supplier hold the grapes for a week?

If so that might be a good way to give yourself a little breathing room.

They would - just not sure I want them sitting in the cooler that long. They will have already endured a 3,000 mile journey from CA.

They would - just not sure I want them sitting in the cooler that long. They will have already endured a 3,000 mile journey from CA.

Does your supplier only get one delivery of grapes? My supplier gets a continuous stream of deliveries spanning several weeks.

If you need breathing room, why not just take from a later shipment?

The varietals/origin are coming in all at once. For example, my Merlot from Suisun should be in this week. It is the only time Merlot from Suisun will be coming in. The Cab Franc from Suisun will be another week or two, but not more Merlot.

Jim,

Sorry to hear of all of your plumbing issues. Are your parents still staying at your the house? If so look on postive side, you still have a helper and he's "in-house". What a wonderful blessing!

Your Dad can come help me make wine anytime. The little I got to talk with him, he seems like a really good man (and dad I'm sure).

Jim,

Sorry to hear of all of your plumbing issues. Are your parents still staying at your the house? If so look on postive side, you still have a helper and he's "in-house". What a wonderful blessing!

Your Dad can come help me make wine anytime. The little I got to talk with him, he seems like a really good man (and dad I'm sure).

They left about two weeks ago. Were staying with my sister (who we visited Sunday) and are now in New England for 4-5 weeks. They are 'living the life', staying in my dad's cousin's very humble but comfortable beach cottage in RI. They'll be back here in late Oct for a week or two, when we'll do blending trials and bottle the 2016's.

Maybe on their way back down to VA, I can get him to stop and help you out with some wine chores. :D

Latest posts

Back